A bit confusing

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Mr Magoo, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Jan 9, 2017

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2017

So you couldn't decide on your own if it was an emergency? Fire, flood, puke and blood are emergencies. Needed the bathroom desperately or it won't end well is an emergency.
    Next time you could try:
    "Have a seat until I take attendance, give you the work we are doing, read the instructions to the class, etc etc." A lot of times the 'hold off' maneuver suddenly dissipates the need to go to the bathroom or nurse.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 10, 2017

Isn't passing period there to use the bathroom??

Obadiah and anon55 like this.
  5. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Jan 10, 2017

6. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Jan 11, 2017

they prefer to play fight and talk

7. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jan 12, 2017

The bathroom was one of the things I just refused to fight about as a teacher. My only rule was one at a time. Other than that, I never was one to test the PSI of my students' bladders.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Jan 12, 2017

I think you are following the teacher's directions quite literally and you should trust your judgement as a professional. The main message from the teacher was: don't let students leave unless they need to - i.e. there will be problems if they wander the hall.

Caesar753 likes this.
  9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 12, 2017

Your post wasn't clear, you said they came up to you during passing period. If you said they came up to you during the last few seconds of passing period, then I would've agreed not to let them go.

my students don't ask me at that time because they know I'll say no and they will be marked tardy.

10. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Jan 13, 2017

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 14, 2017

You could end up in trouble for not letting the kids come back, just because they were late, even though they were very late. If a parent complains, you would not be justified. Also, you're supposed to have the kids within your sight at all times. You are responsible for them. If they walk out on their own, there's nothing you can do but you are supposed to notify someone so they can go look for them. Sending them out in the hallways is against edcode. What if one starts choking? If they get into a fight? You can's see them, therefore can you be responsible for them?
    What if they walk off, and there's a fire? How will you account for all your students?

12. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Jan 14, 2017

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 14, 2017

No, you shouldn't interfere with other teachers and tell them how to do their jobs. That's on them. Just cover your own butt. If you are told to have students sit in the hallways, ask the office if that in fact is ok.

A year ago (or maybe more) I had a student who was a major disruption. Very immature. We agreed (he and I) that he'll sit outside with his desk and do his work there. We didn't have hallways, these were portables, so he was outside. I left the door open. He actually did get his work done, never left his seat and was never a problem.
    This only happened for about a week, my P told me exactly what I told you. She said that even though the door was open, he was not always in my sight, and what if something happened to him, like started choking? (her example). I would be responsible.

Teachers are entrusted with students (children) and they are responsible for their well being. How do you know they're ok, if they're not with you?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  14. Obadiah

Obadiah Cohort

Jan 15, 2017

At a high school level, I wonder if many students would feel awkward if asked if the need to use the restroom or see a nurse was an emergency and might even forgo responding to their physical needs, no matter how urgent. On the other hand, I agree with you-- as a sub, you are responsible for following the teacher's directions. Personally, I would err on the side of caution, perhaps informing a class that the teacher will be made aware of whomever leaves the classroom. My fear is that as adolescents, there are situations requiring the use of the restroom or nurse's office that will occur, especially in a large school population. Some incidents, typical of that age group, can seem more traumatic to a teenager than to an adult; they're new to some of their experiences as adolescents. Sometimes, a kid just needs to be alone in the restroom just to collect his/her thoughts or regain composure. If a student feels compelled to remain in a classroom and then has an accident or begins crying in front of her/his peers, that can have serious consequences, especially since a student with current needs might be overly self conscious to begin with. Sometimes a kid just needs to privately ask an adult such as a nurse a question; often these questions are trivial to adults, but....many times, especially in today's society, these questions are life or death.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2017

I guess I just can't figure out how you can't figure this stuff out. You make lots of posts about how you are just so confused about some arbitrary non-thing. Sometimes unexpected things happen, so we just need to do the best we can with the resources we have. That's really all there is to it. You don't need to be or act helpless. Honestly sometimes I feel like you are like one of those infomercial people who can't handle basic, everyday tasks but does it in a super exaggerated way.

[​IMG]

greendream, MLB711 and dgpiaffeteach like this.
  16. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Jan 15, 2017