9-11 Realization

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Sep 10, 2012.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 10, 2012

I teach in a middle school, and today I realized that most of my students were either infants or small toddlers when 9-11 occurred. I still remember that day as if it were yesterday. I was in my sophomore year of college. I met my husband that day. We were walking out of our religion class.....went to a Catholic College.....;) and we just started talking about what happened. He ended up asking me if I wanted to go to pizza hut with him...ha ha....11 years later, and we are still together.

3. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 10, 2012

p.s....I just discovered the different fonts...am I being annoying with it? lol

4. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Sep 10, 2012

Most of my kids were born in 2001/2002. One's birthday was last week so he was only days old when it happened. It always throws me back a bit when I think about how they have never known a country when they didn't have to worry about their relatives in the military going to "war"

5. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Sep 10, 2012

I had a similar realization this week. I was also a sophomore in college, and remember it so clearly. My 2nd graders wouldn't even be born for several years to come. It's so strange that something I remember so clearly is truly 'history' to my students.

6. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Sep 10, 2012

Same here. That's why I think it's so important to teach it, but in a tasteful way.

7. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Sep 11, 2012

Same here! I remember where I was on this day 11 years ago. I was sitting in American history class, when the teacher got a phone call telling him to turn on the television. We watched with horror at what was happening to our country. I remember Coach telling us to remember this day because history was being made.