8th grade SS project ideas help needed

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Jackofalltrades, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades Rookie

Sep 18, 2009

I’m looking for creative projects to teach WWII to current. I used to teach 6th grade SS and we did things like mummifying chickens and reports on Greek gods/goddesses. I’d like to get away from the drill and kill of the text book for awhile.

I’m finding it difficult to find project ideas for more recent events. I’m thinking about making rocket ships when we get to the space race, but beyond that I’m clueless.

3. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Sep 20, 2009

You might want to try the high school section of the forum. I know I'm having a tough time thinking of something creative because WWII to current where I live is taught in high school. Middle schools here in CA (specifically 8th grade) teach US history from its founding to just the turn of the 20th century.

You could try googling some webquests or maybe have students create their own political cartoons?

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2009

May not give you exactly what you want but the assignment list on www.mrroughton.com has plenty of history activities that don't involve a textbook. They are generic enough to fit any history subject but that means they aren't necessarily as interactive as some specific plans might be. Still, far more interesting than the text!

5. historygrrl

historygrrl Rookie

Sep 20, 2009

Have them produce a USO show for WWII.

6. Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades Rookie

Oct 4, 2009

Wow! That is a great site! I'm totally stealing his ideas! THX!!

7. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Oct 4, 2009

Rockguykev, failed to tell you that it is his site :p Gotta give you props Kev, I use those items all the time and I know you like that they are shared throughout other schools and districts!:thumb:

8. PaperbackWriter

PaperbackWriter Rookie

Oct 8, 2009

Awesome link thanks!!

9. sportsfan200

sportsfan200 New Member

Nov 1, 2009

What an amazing number of activities for students to participate in! Thanks so much for sharing all your hard work, it is greatly appreciated!