8th grade ELA

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ValinFW, Jul 10, 2007.

1. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

Just curious...
    Who else here teaches 8th grade English? What are your major topics for the year?

3. stlchica

stlchica Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

i teach 8th ela

This will be my first year teaching 8th ELA. Unfortunately, I don't know the topics this year. :eek: I'm waiting to talk w/others. I think I can select whatever I want. Any ideas? What are you doing?

4. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

I'll start the year with a short story unit in literature. For grammar, I'll probably start with a quick review of the parts of speech and capitalization/punctuation rules, then go into the parts of a sentence and the types of sentences. Next, I'll do a novel...either The Giver or Johnny Tremain, and prepositional phrases. (The kids have a hard time with these, so I like to do them early on and review them all year.) Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I'll probably teach the novel that I didn't teach in the second six weeks, along with verbs and pronouns.
    After the semester break, I usually do my poetry unit and continue with the grammar...maybe modifiers? Next is The Diary of Anne Frank and verbals. I'll wrap up the year with Across Five Aprils. As we're working through the grammar and literature each six weeks, I have the kids writing, too...sometimes just journal entries, sometimes process papers.