6th grade math...

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by nontradguy, Apr 11, 2011.

1. nontradguy

nontradguy Rookie

Apr 11, 2011

So, I've been tutoring these kids for a month or so and I'm a little frustrated at myself for a couple of reasons. I can't really figure out what they get/don't get and I can't get a hold of their curriculum because their teachers are tough to get a hold of. I was wondering if there was anywhere I could look to find out what it is that sixth graders learn in math.

I've been gathering ideas about what they are doing, like fractions, intro to single variable equations, and maybe a little linear algebra.

Forgive me, guys. I'm pretty new at this. Any tips/tricks, or hints?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 11, 2011

Districts or schools may post curriculum online. You might also consider prowling your state's department of education Web site for content standards: those are usually broken down by grade, especially for grades below high school.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2011

I would definitely check your state standards.

I can give you a list of topics though:
    Solving simple one step algebraic equations and using the order of operations including exponents.

Prime/Composite

Creating, interpreting, and analyzing bar, line, and circle graphs including using mean, median, mode and range

All operations with decimals and fractions

Converting decimals, fractions, and percents

Introducing ratios, rates, proportions, sequences, and expressions. Solving proportions

Simple probability, sample space, making predictions from a sample

Conversions within a system of measurement and choosing appropriate units

Geometry vocabulary with angles,triangles, and quadrilaterals

Area,volume, perimeter, and surface area formulas

Integer operations, graphing in the coordinate plane using translations, reflections and rotations

5. nontradguy

nontradguy Rookie

Apr 11, 2011

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate the list! I FINALLY got a hold of a teacher who is letting me borrow a book from her. The kids are taking their AIMS tests this week, so I got a hold of the study guide, too, which helped.

One of my students didn't show up today, which gave me a chance to grill him a little more about what he knew and didn't know, more specifically. It seems like I'm going to have to go a little deeper into conversions and volume.

I'm trying to show them a little bit more about coordinates and slope without trying to delve too deep into it.