5th year teaching and feeling burned out

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Geologygirl, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Oct 5, 2018

I am feeling burned out and am not sure what to do. I have a baby at home and a 3 year old and have not really slept well since the end of last March which I am sure is part of it. I also am finding I am tired of having no supplies even though I work at a school in a affluent area, tired of lawnmower parents who go to the vp when I call home to let them know their kid is misbehaving and will earn a consequence if it continues. I am tired of sharing someone else's classrooms for the last 4.5 years only to have them give the next available room to the guy they hired last year while I was on materniry leave. Tired of having kids in class who literally are commiting crimes inside and outside of school. Tired of admin who support parents not teachers. I am also upset that I have to study to try to pass another science credential test while being sleep deprived so I do not lose my job since the district picked the one way to teach NGSS that makes my credential essentially worthless. I am tired of kids breaking stuff and stealing stuff during passing periods when I switch rooms. I am just so tired period, but I have no idea what else I could possibly do as a job and my family is counting on me financially..... I just need some advice or someone to talk to or something. How do you move past burnout?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Oct 5, 2018

I hear you...I am hearing more and more teachers at my school -- even veterans -- who are feeling burned out as a result of the increasing pressure. More is added every year, and nothing is ever taken away. I know for myself, I was almost ready to leave teaching until I found my current district. I finally feel "at home" and even though the job is overwhelming, I feel like I'm in the right place and I feel supported by my admin and even parents (shocking, I know!). I wonder if trying a different kind of school setting might be the change you need?

Geologygirl likes this.
  4. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Oct 5, 2018

I have been considering this for a while. The a school I am at is suppose to be one of the best schools in the district which h makes it scary to change. I've worked at a much worse school and am afraid to end up somewhere much worse.

5. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Oct 5, 2018

I think it depends on how you define "best" and "worst." If you're just looking at test scores, a school might look good on paper but be a nightmare in reality. I would try to talk to someone actually at the school to see how they feel working there.

6. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Oct 5, 2018

That sounds like a good idea. I just have to figure out how to do it so it does not become a rumor that goes back to my current admin

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2018

Exactly! "Best'' to me does NOT equal affluent, high test scores, suburbs, etc. I know it sounds wonderful, but then you end up with all of the issues you're describing. I'd much rather work in a school where the students might be struggling academically, come from low SES, etc., but the staff (and admin) all act as a community to get the job done. That's what I noticed about the Title 1 schools I worked in: the sense of community. We had some rough kids with issues & home lives, but the staff were AMAZING! You never felt alone and could go to literally ANY teacher and know you've got support. Yeah there were some pain in the a$$ teachers who only cared about their image, test scores, etc., but the bulk were just really humble and honest people who tried to do their best everyday. I'd rather work in THAT school any day of the week.
    A school / population change might be what you need. You could find yourself working in a school where they really need you and appreciate your talents. You just have to find it!
    :):heart:

ms.irene likes this.
  8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 6, 2018

Oh my God, what are your admin doing?! Or should I say, what are they NOT doing?

That would not fly at my school, especially where criminal behavior is concerned. Students would be suspended, expelled, and/or carried out by police depending on the severity of the act(s) committed. We don’t mess around. We let students know that when they are on campus grounds they are to follow the rules or face the consequences.

I don’t understand why other schools don’t take a more proactive approach at cracking down on students who break the rules... At my school, we revoke privileges (no senior activities, no field trips, no rallies, no sports participation, no going to sporting events, etc), we put students on restrictions (they have to report to the on-campus, in-school suspension room until further notice), we require students to clean the school after school for 1 hour if they are caught littering, we make students come to Saturday school for 3 hours if they have more than 4 unexcused tardies, we confiscate all electronic devices for chronic offenders and keep them in the front office, we have numerous armed security personnel who patrol the grounds frequently and who are authorized to use reasonable physical force to separate students if they get into a physical altercation, etc, etc.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    nstructor likes this.
  9. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Oct 6, 2018

We do some of those things. The stealing was candy bags or phones. Those kids do not go to jail. If they take a phone sometimes they are suspended. Getting expelled is very hard unless they are in jail already and not getting out soon. Iv seen kids expelled and then reenroll the next day. All a parent has to do is threaten to sue. The same for consequences if the parent does not want their kid to have one, unless it's like setting a fire, drugs or assault then they generally are able to get their kids out of them. We are in trouble for our suspension rates so I think that also is a Issue. We are trying to suspend less kids. Unfortunately, this year we are seeing an increase in students who commite crimes outside of school so we may be seeing a population change also. I am not sure.

QUOTE="futuremathsprof, post: 2081007, member: 93919"]Oh my God, what are your admin doing?! Or should I say, what are they NOT doing?

That would not fly at my school, especially where criminal behavior is concerned. Students would be suspended, expelled, and/or carried out by police depending on the severity of the act(s) committed. We don’t mess around. We let students know that when they are on campus grounds they are to follow the rules or face the consequences.

I don’t understand why don’t other schools don’t take a proactive approach at cracking down on students who break the rules... At my school, we revoke privileges (no senior activities, no field trips, no rallies, no sports participation, no going to sporting events, etc), we put students on restrictions (they have to report to the on-campus, in-school suspension room until further notice), we require students to clean the school after school for 1 hour if they are caught littering, we make students come to Saturday school for 3 hours if they have more than 4 unexcused tardies, we confiscate all electronic devices for chronic offenders and keep them in the front office, we have numerous armed security personnel who patrol the grounds frequently and who are authorized to use reasonable physical force to separate students if they get into a physical altercation, etc, etc.[/QUOTE]

10. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Oct 6, 2018

This is exactly what I want. To work somewhere where they appreciate my talents and need me. I just want to be careful as I look. The last school I was at was low ses and there was even less discipline. Teachers were assaulted weekly. I do not want to end up at a place like that again

Leaborb192 likes this.
  11. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Oct 6, 2018

The low ses was not what I did not like it was the most discipline

Leaborb192 likes this.
  12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2018

Search and be picky. I taught in a Title 1 school where it was low SES with a high ELL population, but we didn't have the violence. I didn't teach in the inner city or "ghetto'' or anything like that (that I think is stereotypically associated with the schools.) We had severe behavior problems to be sure, but I never felt physically unsafe in my classroom. The admin was "hands off'' which was a double edge sword because I got to do what I wanted, but when I NEEDED them... they weren't there.
    :(

Happy hunting and I hope you find the "right'' school. Or at least one with more pros than cons.
    :D

13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 7, 2018

@Geologygirl, I want you to have a job still and so my concern is whether you are able to maintain your credential. Are there any schools around your area that will accept your current credential? What’s your plan?

14. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Oct 7, 2018

I can still teach middle school, and am signed up to take the chem credential test next month. I am wondering if just switching grades would be better also. I think I get more parent issues because I teach freshman and sometimes it's the first time a kid gets in trouble. I love working with ELL kids. I am afraid I will lose those classes teaching a higher grade level, since they don't have a higher level EL class, but I am really not wanting to teach bio since its the new freshman course, and everyone in my department has a bio credential.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  15. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 7, 2018

At least you still have options and you can salvage your job! I was worried that you might be entirely unemployed.

16. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Oct 7, 2018

I can hear how tired you are and that you are frustrated. Venting is totally fine and totally normal. I'm not sure if you are looking for feedback or not?

If you are, could you go through your list and identify which things are partially in your control/ areas you have some influence to try to improve your situation?

I'm also wondering if you are willing to emotionally let go of the things outside of your control?

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  17. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 10, 2018

Looks like you have 3 different issues: home, kids, admin.
    Home: I'm sure you have some sick time saved up, start taking some of those and just stay home and sleep, relax and catch up on things you need. Take care of yourself. This often makes a huge difference.
    Admin: I've experienced this last year and it was horrible. Not sure how much you can do about that, but safely you can voice ng backed up, holding kids more accountable, etc/
    Kids: this is where you can truly make a difference. Try different ways to reach the kids. The stealing can be handled. The misbehavior can be handled. It's basic classroom management. As far as them committing crimes outside of school, don't be concerned with that because that does not fall under your responsibilities, so don't even think about that. Get the kids to respect, listen and behave while you have them. Call the parents and let them know how the kids are ding, good and bad.

You can't fix everything, but at least you can take a few days off in the next few months and at least get some rest. Everything will seem more doable.

18. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Oct 11, 2018

That sounds exactly like where I work -- we are Title I but have a ton of community support. And our test scores just so happen to be right up there with some of the "better" aka richer schools....

Leaborb192 likes this.
  19. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Oct 11, 2018

I am open to suggestions. I'm starting to question staying in teaching. I am not sure there is a lot I can change right now.Im just trying to survive until Thanksgiving when we get some time off

20. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Oct 11, 2018

I do call home actually, a lot. I wish I could take some time off but with a new baby and toddler I need to save my sick days for when they are sick. Iv already used 2 days since Aug and I this k I only have 7 left for the year. Since I went on mat leave last year I only have the days from this year.

21. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Oct 11, 2018

Wow! You are dealing with incredibly a lot. I wouldn't label what you are experiencing as burnout, but more of an overwhelming situation. Just your first few sentences seemed like a ton to carry. What to do?

First, please don't blame yourself for an incredibly rough situation. It is incredible that you are doing so much. Second, you are in the middle of the storm. Some of the items you are dealing with won't last. Your baby will grow up, the test you are preparing for will soon be in the past.

Wow, Wonder Woman doesn't deal with so much. Somehow, I hope you can lighten your load a bit, even it is 15 more minutes of sleep a day. I wish you the best.