5th Grade vs Events Officer

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by phenomenauts, Jul 10, 2015.

1. phenomenauts

phenomenauts New Member

Jul 10, 2015

Hi All!

I have a dilemma on my hand and was hoping to get some opinions. I have recently been offered a job as the head teacher of grade five at a new school. This will be the first time that I will be teaching and therefore have no prior experience. Additionally, they have also offered me the job of the main events office at the school in case I do not wish to teach. I have a background in event management at college but have not been actively pursing it.

The events job is extremely demanding as i will be required to organize events for the entire school which includes weekly assemblies, all international important days, local days and celebrations, field trips, photos, concerts, and the list goes on. However, this job is extremely well paid.

On the other hand is teaching 5th grade. Since its a higher level, I wanted to know from other teachers how their experience has been? Is it extremely demanding and time consuming? I have will be teaching english, sciences, history, geography and a year long class called project that is linked to alll the subjects that the students will learn. While it sounds less demanding, I have been warned by a lot of people that teaching too is extremely demanding and requires as much effort as mentioned about the events job.

I just wanted to know from fellow educators which option would you choose, which sounds better and will appreciate any and all insight and opinions on this matter

Thank you in advance!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2015

The best question might be this: which would you rather have as your career?

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jul 10, 2015

You can't ask a group of teachers on a teacher forum if they'd rather teach or do something else :p

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 10, 2015

I have the same event management background as you. Events might be easier than teaching, but teaching is definitely more meaningful.

6. phenomenauts

phenomenauts New Member

Jul 10, 2015

Thanks. Thats what Im thinking. Plus, I've been meeting with the school coordinators who seem to paint a very rosy picture of teaching as opposed to events

7. phenomenauts

phenomenauts New Member

Jul 10, 2015

Hahaha I think I just need to hear some teachers say that teaching wont overwhelm me and that everyone enjoys it.

8. phenomenauts

phenomenauts New Member

Jul 10, 2015

While full time event management sounds amazing I dont think I'll ever be able to do that. Teaching on the other hand seems like a stable career with growth and feels safe

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 10, 2015

Teaching fifth grade can be very demanding. I don't think either option is more demanding--just different.

10. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jul 15, 2015

Teaching is extremely demanding of your time and energy. You will work weekends and after your duty hours. You will spend your own money on supplies. The event job sounds pretty fun to me. You said you don't want to teach... to me teaching is a passion and you need dedication. Don't choose teaching because you think it will be easier, it's VERY hard with a lot of pressure to do amazing things.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Jul 15, 2015

There may come a time when leaving the classroom feels like a relief. That is when the other job would be very appealing. I have witnessed teachers in slo-mo burnout - everyone can see it happening, like a bad accident that can't be avoided. I would hope that if that happens to me, I would be the first, not the last, to recognize it. Both jobs are stable, both demanding in their own way. Teaching demands a high price for the "stability". Don't go there if you don't want to continue learning yourself. Don't go there if you begrudge it the time you will need to spend learning and perfecting it. Don't go there if you aren't willing to grow as an educator, reaching out to your PLC, sharing, reflecting, changing, and fine tuning constantly along the way.

I love teaching, but consider it a hard job. It is the hardest job you will ever love, or you won't stay a teacher for long. I have no input whatsoever about the other job - I'm guessing the school calendar applies, but it might be 12 months. I would need a lot more information.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 15, 2015

I'm concerned that you think the classroom position is less demanding than the events job. Both would have their challenges but I would think you'd work fewer hours in the events job. Teachers in other schools plan field trips, assemblies, and events as well as do their day to day teaching, planning, grading, and parent contacts.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2015

This. As a staff, we plan all school events--either individually, with grade partners or by committee. I've never heard of having one person responsible for this for the whole school.