5th Grade Valentine Party

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by MrsAcord, Jan 21, 2008.

1. MrsAcord

MrsAcord Rookie

Jan 21, 2008

We have our Valentine party coming up and usually a parent does it, but I don't have one this year. This is only my 2nd year teaching and I missed last year's party due to a conference. To make a long story short, I don't have a bag of tricks for Valentine parties. Does anyone have any ideas what 5th graders would enjoy doing to a valentine party?

3. DancingColor

DancingColor Rookie

Jan 21, 2008

This is my 2nd year teaching and last year I did a "Kindness Party." Basically I integrated some social skills into the Valentines Day party theme... with AWESOME results. My students made kindness cards in the classroom. I made some heart cut outs and students decorated the front of their cards with their name. Then students passed the cards around and each of their classmates wrote a compliment. When the students were finished they had 25 unique and kind compliments from each of their peers and myself. We also each shared a memory of teasing or that made us sad...each time we shared we pressed an un-peeled banana- on the outside you don't see that it's mushing and bruising the inside of the banana- then I opened it and we discussed the effects of hurtful words and actions. Then we drank Crush pop to crush all of the bad things people have done or said to make us feel upset. We ate heart cookies to fill ourselves with sweet energy to give kind words to others. It was a great writing activity and stimulated a lot of great conversation... at first my kids were kind of sad about not passing valentines, but this year I had a couple of my former students tell me that they've since read their compliment cards and really treasure them! Hope this helps.

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jan 21, 2008

I can't say this is for a typical 5th grade, but this is the idea that we are doing in my homeschool group witch is a wide range of kids.

they are going to be wearing or having a blank t-shirt, that each kid will sign or write a pleasant message on. They are also doing a "treat pot luck" ---- ok I'm not sure about the details on the treats but I am guessing the kids or in our case each family will bring a treat to share (sucker, hershy kiss, smarties or even pencils or stickers) but maybe one of these ideas can help.

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 21, 2008

I guess I am not as creative as I thought I was....I simply play "left,right,center" with Hershey's Kisses!!! (PTA provides a cookie and drink too)

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2008

I will be saving your ideas!! I love them all, especially the kindness cards. So, quick question, so so I do it right: they decorate their OWN card right. Then, these gets passed around? Did they stand up and wonder around, asking people to write a complement, or did the students stay in their seats and just pass the card down to the right??? Just wondering how exactly you did this.

7. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2008

I'm a little afraid of Valentine's Day this year. The class I have is too mature, already talking on the phone, talking about who likes who, etc. They make me nervous!

I think I'm going low-key this year.

8. DancingColor

DancingColor Rookie

Jan 22, 2008

I had 16 girls in my class last year and they really needed the kind words... in fact I did a little mini lesson on compliments and adjectives that are appropriate along with characteristic traits! :) Yes, students decorated their own cards and then passed them around... kind of like an assembly line. Good Luck!

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2008

I just talked w/ my student teacher about having an act of kindness day that day.

Great minds think alike huh :)