5th Grade Unit Assignment

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Bloom, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I am currently a Master's Degree Elementary Education student. Our class must prepare a Unit/Lesson Assignment and I am looking for a book to use as a basis for the assignment that would be appropriate for 5th grade.

I was looking online to see appropriate reading for 5th grade and saw this book....has anyone read it, found it useful for a unit/lesson plan?

Walker, Alice. Langston Hughes, American Poet. HarperCollins, 2002. An illustrated
    biography of the Harlem poet whose works gave voice to the joy and pain of the black experience in America.

I appreciate any help on a book to base our assignment on....thanks!

3. BookWorm6

BookWorm6 Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I recently purchased that book, but have not yet read it. Number the Stars would be a great book to use for a unit...it is one that we've taught in my grade level for years. The students also really enjoyed it! There are also so many ideas out there for this book...

We've also done units on Island of the Blue Dolphins, and James and the Giant Peach (5th grade)....Walk Two Moons would also work well. Hope that helps! Let me know if you need ideas:) Good luck!

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2007

I LOVE Walk Two Moons -- talk about a tearjerker! And you could tie it into the whole Native American and/or Appalachian theme.

Number the Stars could cross curriculum to history/social studies as well - think WWII and Nazi treatment of Jews, etc.

I think the Alice Walker book would also be good, although I haven't read it yet. The subject matter is fascinating -- Langston Hughes was a genius. I would definitely read it through, though -- it may be too adult. I try never to assume something is appropriate until after I read it. It would tie in nicely to biography/autobiographies, modern (20th century) poetry, and/or the Civil Rights era.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 17, 2007

Another good novel to use if you like science is My Side of the Mountain. Also Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry-about a young African American girl growing up in the Deep South in the 1930's and dealing with all sorts of descrimination but becoming strong because of her family's love and support.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2007

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE My Side of the Mountain!!!! I'm having trouble finding it, though. I haven't checkec online yet, though. I fell in love with that book in 4th grade, and still remember it!

7. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Where in IL do you teach? I am still in school but looking to teach in the Geneva, St. Charles area.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

B&N has My Side of the Mountain. I love it, too.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 18, 2007

Thanks, Upsadaisy!