5th grade summer school

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by njeledteacher, Jul 3, 2007.

1. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 3, 2007

I just found out I'm teaching summer school starting next week for 5th grade. Does anyone have any ideas for writing? I have a four week period, but I want to motivate these students who in general lack motivation throughout the school year, and some are struggling. There is a huge range in ability, and I even have some high 4th graders in my group. I was thinking about doing centers fisrt thing in the morning. Besides computer, math, word work, do you think there's another center I can use for this group? I do have a student who is at a 2nd grade reading level, so a listening center might work, but I'm not sure. It's very difficult to plan this out because the other 5th grade teacher chose his students from his class this year, and all are pretty much on grade level. I was left with the rest, who are completely varying in needs. One thing that we do have planned already is a field trip to the Liberty Science Center, so I may possibly do a theme from that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 3, 2007

I'm doing summer program at my school, which isn't exactly summer school but close enough. I have chosen a theme, with which we will do everything. We are doing "Medieval Times" as an integrated unit. I have 6-9 year olds and have no idea on the ability of most of the 6 year olds, but know one is gifted and she reads and writes at about a 3rd grade level, perhaps higher. I know one of the 9 year olds is very gifted and the other LD. I am beginning each day with themed choice time, where I have a giant castle puzzle, castle blocks, coloring, chess, checkers and reading available. I am reading aloud King Arthur and we will do activies relating to that. We will be doing math and literacy relating to medieval history. We will also make a meal (fractions) and do art as well. Summer school IS much different but I am dealing with a huge range as well. I have made two versions of each assignment, and I will work with small groups. I have an aid, so we will alternate with the groups. I will have a writing and math period (1 hour-1:30 each) as well as games, art and recess each day. I will do SSR for 20 minutes, as there is NO way to do guided reading with this kind of range. I am not doing any formal assessing for this program. This is not the kind of thing where they retake the state test at the end of the session. (Our school doesn't test anyway.)

Our writing projects are: Application to become a knight and a medieval dictionary.

For the younger kids they will write: I was brave when... I was strong when.. I was helpful when... I was kind when... and illustrate it and make a book. The older/more advanced will write a personal narrative with the same above points. We will be doing dictionaries, the younger kids will write the word, a sentence and a picture, the older will look words up, write sentences and illustrate. Those will be our two major literacy projects.

I know this is probably much different than what you are doing- as this is really a camp-like program, and not "summer school" per say.

My math is also integrated, and we will be be finding out how long ago the medieval times were, how old we are compared to each other, including me and the aid (younger kids) and finding the difference between specific important dates in history (inventions created) with how long they occured after medieval times. Other math will be loosly related to medieval times as well. (Math games and projects I adapted to have a medieval theme and cooking.)

My program is 1 week. I am doing 3 weeks total this summer, each with a different theme. This is the only one I planned so far.

I say- do a science theme. Read up on inventors! Do a read aloud about great inventors, and have each child read a biography of a great inventor. They can do this and do a reading response journal. Make science projects and write out the scientific process as a final published writing piece. Have each kid choose a project from a list, and do a science fair at the end of summer school. (I would have them choose from a list, because the decision process is so difficult. Everyone can do this to their own ability. The gifted kids will LOVE it. The kids who have LD can work at their pace.

Go to the library and grab every book, at every level available on inventors or scientists. (I checked out 50 books for my one week of medieval camp for SSR)

Begin the day with the centers like you said, but DON'T put too much time into creating big things to do. That's why I am doing choice time. It's only 15 minutes, and then we will do read aloud, then a lesson. Since it's summer, you could become botantists (sp) and explore the plants around the school. Create a field guide for the school and note all of the plant life around. Audobaun (sp) will come do a free bird presentation.

Anyway- I hope my ideas were helpful. I have these ideas on my mind, because my aid and I just got ready for summer program today!!

4. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 4, 2007

It sounds like you put a lot of effort into one week! You have some great ideas. The thing about my program is that we are supposed to target their weaknesses based on their test scores. This means I probably have to work on certain reading, math, and writing strategies. At the end I have to do a running record on all of them, a post writing sample, and a math assessment. I didn't think it was going to be as intense as this, but at least I have a summer job. I'm a little overwhelmed because I don't know most of the kids, whereas the other guy knows all of his. I have another planning day tomorrow with the group so I hope to figure some more things out.

Thanks for your ideas!