5th Grade Settling Colonies

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by MrsTchrAB, Nov 3, 2011.

1. MrsTchrAB

MrsTchrAB Rookie

Nov 3, 2011

Hello,

This is my first year teaching 5th grade American History. I want to make it more interactive and project based learning for my kids, but am running low on ideas... We are about to start a unit on the settling of the New England, Middle and Southern Colonies, but I am not sure what I can do to make it more fun for the kids.

Ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

TIA

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 4, 2011

I have had my US history students create a brochure for the purpose of recruiting settlers. The brochure had to include all the qualities of the colony ~ geography, climate, economy, and most important, why they should choose to settle in that colony. I also expected to see very specific things such as in the MBC - only Puritans allowed, Maryland Catholics only need apply, Georgia debters welcome, etc . . . . let me know if you would like the assignment and I will PM the info

4. MrsTchrAB

MrsTchrAB Rookie

Nov 5, 2011

That's a great idea! Thanks!

5. Miss G89

Miss G89 Rookie

Nov 7, 2011

I just had my students write a journal entry about who they saw, what they saw, what the economics were like, different roles that the colonists had, what hardships they might have faced. These are just a few ideas that I gave them, and they seemed to enjoy them.

6. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Nov 17, 2011

I've been working on planning some history projects for my students. Here's what I've come up with so far:

A digital scrapbook (or regular scrapbook, but we are an eMints classroom, so we have lots of computers available)- I'm planning on using this for Westward Expansion

ABC book- Planning to use this with the Civil War, groups will each make an ABC book to bind

Create a New Colony- have groups create their own colony- was it based on religious freedom, criminals, etc? What were the rules? Who could settle there? What resources were available?

3D Map of the US- using homemade playdough, students will create a 3D map of the US, including land features. When it's dry, they will paint it like a topographical map.

News Report- groups will choose a topic and make a news report about. Who will be the reporter? Who is being interviewed? They will make any props they need and create/bring in costumes. A friend of mine did this with the Civil Rights Movement

Wax Museum- students choose an historical figure to research, then write a 2 minute speech about that person. They will dress like that person on presentation day/family night. When their hand is touched, the person "comes to life" and recites the biography.

One thing I saw about the Mayflower was to squish all your students into a corner of the room. Have them sway back and forth as if they were on a ship that's being tossed around on the ocean. Choose a couple students to be the crying babies (they will have to cry really loudly!), and some students can cough and pretend to get sick. This would be a good (noisy) opening activity for the colonies.

Most of these could be used with the colonies. Hope they inspire someone!

(Can you tell that history is my favorite subject to teach?)