5th Grade Reading Demo Lesson

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lojomom, Apr 12, 2018.

1. lojomom

lojomom New Member

Apr 12, 2018

So the good news I have been invited in for a 5th grade interview and demo lesson. New teacher, so this is my first interview or demo lesson. However, I was a returning older student and this is the district I have been praying for! Only parameters I have been given is that I need a 20 minute lesson pertaining to reading where I will have approximately 25 students. It will be immediately following their recess and lunch =( I originally had considered inferencing, theme, POV/perspective, poetry. My general idea is ...I immediately thought after lunch...dessert. teach theme as the creme filling in a cupcake. Prepare an anchor chart and reference to theme as the creme in the center of a cupcake. Making the connection that we don't know what the theme is until we get inside the book to the good stuff "the message". What is this book really about?

Have a variety of picture books available, split them into small groups where they read a book and try to determine the filling or creme inside the cupcake..what this book is really about. Bring back in large group to share their themes. This is a very simplistic first idea but I like the use of visuals for connections and group discourse.
    What feed back do you have or any 5th grade reading demo ideas you may have??
    I am concerned with 20 minutes they may not be able to read the books and write a theme in the alloted time, however not too familiar with 5th so I could be wrong.

Also wondering on an exit ticket (considered a post it- what is theme in your own words? What advise do you have for a new teacher?) and differentiation. Any and all ideas appreciated. New grad hoping to land my dream job

3. Obadiah

Obadiah Devotee

Apr 13, 2018

That seems like a lot for 20 minutes. Assigning groups, moving to groups, social adjustment in getting started and contributing within the group, the amount of time it takes to read even a picture book (unless they mechanically rush through a word reading of the book which would inhibit grasping the meaning), and deciding what to write, these tasks add up to a lot of time. I like your visual aide, and taste/smell includes more senses, very powerful senses at that. Movement to another part of the room invokes locale memory, a strong memory. For an interview, I'd be careful about using sugary sweets; not that I'm recommending avoiding it, but some administrators might frown on that. Personally, I've used an occasional sweet in a lesson myself, but I'm just thinking in an interview situation, that might be an iffy situation. Another problem with food in a lesson is food allergies that you might not be aware of or individual food restrictions of students (some might be vegan, some might be restricted from processed foods, some might have medical restrictions, some might have religious restrictions). A similar visual I've used (for other lessons) are hard boiled eggs, but again, this would cause potential problems with food restrictions, but I thought mentioning it might lead to a better idea. Anyway, the yolk is in the middle.

I hope your lesson goes well. It helps me during an observation to keep focused on my goal of educating and enriching the students. I'm not there to put on a show for an administrator, I'm there to guide the students into understanding and using a lesson outcome. Whether or not you get hired, you've further developed these 25 students. I also like to put all my nervous energy into my lesson. It's OK to be nervous--it just means you're human and that's what the administrator is hoping to hire, a human, not a robot.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 13, 2018

I’ve taught fifth grade for 10 years. Theme is HARD every year. I don’t know that I would do theme for a demo lesson. You want to shine in your demo, and they are looking to see how you handle things if they are not understanding the content.

With a 20 minute time limit, you want a concise focus area, and either a short passage (less than a page) or a poem. You won’t have time to read more than that. Inferencing would be good, but I would be sure the inferences you want them to make are clear, and that you have them quote evidence from the text to support their inference. If you wanted to keep your dessert theme, you could open by giving them clues and have them guess the item you are thinking of (cupcake). Then go over an anchor chart of inferencing and have them practice.

5. lojomom

lojomom New Member

Apr 13, 2018

Thanks for the advice! I am considering doing some type of task cards with groups instead of picture books because of the time. I was planning on having the cupcake drawn on an anchor chart, not bringing in any food =) I thought with them returning from lunch it might be a nice way to transition. I really appreciate your feedback!

6. Chelseacat12

Chelseacat12 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018

Hi! What did you end up doing? I have a fifth grade reading demo for 20 minutes also and im stumped!