5th grade picture books

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Heathermeister, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 27, 2007

Oh so many of these bring back memories from when I taught fifth grade. I used Miss Nelson is Missing with Venn Diagrams or Miss Nelson and Viola Swamp.

There is another one that Alan Say wrote able china -- it's gold Ack! I cannot remember the name. Gorgeous pictures.
    Pink and Say -- on the best, absolute best.
    I found a black and white book on the Gettysburg Address.

Great for modeling in the writing process. Early in the year, we'd take a book and use it as a guide. How did this author tell the story in words. How did the pictures help? What did they add? Then we'd do the same thing. Later in the year, the kids would return to that process when they were beginning new writings or struggling in deeper ones or just needed a break.

I've got to find that Allan Say book though.

2. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 27, 2007

3. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 1, 2007

Having taught kindergarten previously, I had more picture books than I knew what to do with-so, I incorporated them into my literacy centers. I made genre bins: fiction, non-fiction(informational text), biographies, poetry/folk tales, and cultural stories. I sorted out my picture books and put them in the appropriate bin. As part of my centers, the students choose a picture book from the bin, read it,and complete a FUN graphic organizer. This is by far my most visited center. 5th graders can never get enough of the picture books! I love when I hear "hey, my kindergarten teacher read this to me!!" I always have to go and tell the kindergarten teachers in our building-it makes their day!:)

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2007

What a great idea! I'm also a former kinder teacher and I have boxes full of picture books!!!! I LOVE this idea. Thank you so much for sharing. This will make a great workshop activity. :wub: :wub:

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2007

One question: What kind of FUN graphic organizers do you use?

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 1, 2007

Math Curse always works. I also have Science Verse. Other ones I love in fourth grade are Miss Alaineus, Casey at the Bat (it's big and a dark tan color), and The Mysteries of Harris Burdick (which is more for centers, but has a picture and a little quirp under it. It's so neat for kids being able to generate "where" the photos REALLY came from and write a little more about each photo.)

What is the FUN graphic organizer?? :)

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 1, 2007

Oh, and Patricia Polacco! I like Thank Mr. Falker (but pronounce it so you say the "Al" in FALK-ER or the fifth graders will act typical...)

Amelia books are also picture books, but the girls like reading them on their own. Emma's Journal is a historical version of the Amelia books and teaches a little more about time periods.

I also have this book called A Blue So Blue that focuses on different color words for blue.

Then science and social studies- like Upsadaisy, I collect them because they show more than words.

The Velveteen Rabbit makes me bawl my eyes out, too.

(Ack. I just noticed I italicized all the books in this post and underlined in the last. They're both appropriate, but it shows I'm getting kind of wishy-washy tonight.)

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 2, 2007

I have found graphic organizers from different books- for example, I have a Fast Fact sheet for the non-fiction. When done, it will resemble a trading card. The best part is the kids find the main idea (fast fact) without even knowing they are doing so!! For Biographies, I have a biography wheel, or a wanted poster. The book Graphic Organizers by Scholastic is wonderful too. Also, Peachyness, scope out other teachers organizers. If you want hard copies of mine, I will be happy to send them to you. I am not sure how to private message here,so you would have to talk me through it!!

9. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 2, 2007

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

Thank you. I will have to check out those books. Do you know the names of the books?

Also, I tried to PM you but you don't seem to have that option. I'm not sure how else to PM you.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 2, 2007

Peachy and LauraB -- I think you (Laura) have to have made a minimum number of posts (maybe 50) before she can PM or be PMed.

Laura, I would be interested in the organizers and the names of the books, as well.

12. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 3, 2007

Hi all,
    I am going to try to figure out this PM stuff...I will get back to everyone on this forum when I figure it out!!!!!

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 3, 2007

Hi again,
    I enabled my PM on my user CP...Peachyness, can you give it a try? Thanks. I will be going into school next week to start up-and I will bring home my graphic organizers. One way or another, I will get them to you-even if I have to snail mail!!! I was at Holcomb's yesterday, and the name of the book is Graphic Organizers and it is by Scholastic. I will send off the other names as I find them at school!! I think you go back earlier than I do...my first day back is August 20th. :)

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2007

Hey, you don't need to worry about mailing them to me! I'll just buy the book. Thanks though! :)

I'll PM you just so you can see if it works.

15. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

I just bought a book by Mem Fox about a boy who helps the elderly lady next door with her memory. The title is the boy's name, but it's so long I can't remember it! I'm planning on using to introduce a personal informational writing on one memory student's have. It's such a beautiful book. It made me cry, but only because I'm getting so old I can't even remember the name of the book I'm trying to give you! :)

16. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

Look at all the typos in that last post of mine. I'm going to bed!