5th grade picture books

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Heathermeister, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Heathermeister

Heathermeister Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

I've read so many posts about chapter books to read to 5th graders, but how about picture books? I would like to have some in my classroom for read alouds and also for the students to read. Do you know of any good titles? I really love funny books :)

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

I have a TON of picture books (I taught kinder). I just read in a magazine today about how picture books are great for upper grades to teach the 6+1 traits.
    These are some ideas for picture books the article shared to teach the 6+1 traits:

For Ideas: Nothing Ever Happens on 90th street, Mama Played Baseball, The Polar Express

Organization: The Secret Shortcut, The Magic Fan, Three Cheers for Catherine the Great!

Voice: Voices in the Park, The Babe and I, Wolf!

Word Choice: The Wolf who cried boy, More than anything else, Lincoln

Sentence Fluency: The web files, Gathering the sun, Hide and Snake

Conventions: Punctuation take a vacation; Dearly, Nearly, Insincerely: What is an adverb; I and you and don't forget who; What is a pronoun?

Presentation: Over the moon, The Important Book, Home Run, Who's Got Game? The Ant or the Grasshopper?

4. Karen Hall

Karen Hall New Member

Jul 18, 2007

I use the Marilyn Burns books for introducing new math concepts and teaching specific math lessons. My kids love them. I've taught Middle School math and i used picture books with them too! I also use in small groups to work on fluency and expression. I will usually tie it to a writing activity or a grammar lesson. Students are never too old for picture books.

5. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 18, 2007

Anything by Chris Van Allsburg. When I student taught fifth, the teacher had introduced these books to them, and they LOVED them. There are so many extension activities you could do if you want--his stories are very thought-provoking and creative.

Some of the titles: The Polar Express, The Wreck of the Zephyr, Zathura, Jumanji.... Enjoy!!

P.S. They gave me a book at the end of my assignment (The Polar Express) which they all signed and wrote well wishes. So sweet!

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 18, 2007

Many of Patricia Polacco's books are appropriate picture books for 5th. Also, Pam Munoz Ryan has a few biographies that are big kid picture books.

7. Danigirl

Danigirl Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

I agree, Patricia Polacco books are awesome. I read some in my after school program last year and the kids loved them. If you are able to celebrate Christmas in your school she has some amazing holiday themed stories (Welcome Comfort and The Christmas Tapestry) as well.

8. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

When we did a unit on fairy tales, the kids LOVED some of my favorite 1st/2nd picture books, especially "Prince Cinders" by Babette Cole and "The Stinky Cheese Man" by Jon Sciezska. They also liked a book called "George Washington's Teeth" (or something like that) that I randomly got from the library. If you're doing the electoral process, get "Duck for President" by Doreen Cronin, it's a fun introduction. My new favorite end-of-year book is "Yay, You!" by Sandra Boynton. I could go on forever, I miss picture books dearly!

9. LionPride

LionPride Companion

Jul 18, 2007

Some of my favorite books include:
    All the Places to Love by Patricia MacLachlan
    Raising Yoder's Barn by Jane Yolen
    A Fine, Fine School by Sharon Creech
    We Had a Picnic This Sunday Past, Coming On Home Soon, and The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson
    Talkin' About Bessie by Nikki Grimes

These are just a few of so many that I have read over the years to my fifth grade students. Last year I read over 180 picture books to them.

10. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 18, 2007

Amelia Bedelia is great for teaching idioms. The kids enjoyed it.

11. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 19, 2007

I use How Much is a Million at the beginning of the year to introduce the concept of very large numbers.

12. Georgia"Teach"

Georgia"Teach" Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Even though I am a middle school teacher, I LOVE using picture books (I even used them with my SENIORS!). A Bad Case of the Stripes by David Shannon is an excellent book. I bought it just the other day off of Amazon and got such a steal! I highly reccomend it. Also, don't forget about Miss Nelson is Missing and the series The _______ (insert Teacher, Subsitute, etc.) from the Black Lagoon. I have all of these for my middle schoolers and I can't wait to use them!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 19, 2007

The Velveteen Rabbit is great, though I cry when I read it.

Owl Moon, anything by or illustrated by Barbara Cooney, When I Was Young in the Mountains, Dollhouse Mouse....

I use How Much is a Million, too.

14. Heathermeister

Heathermeister Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Wow, this is amazing!! Thanks for all the responses. I have a lot of picture books that I have been collecting over the years and I thought that I wouldn't be able to use them. I will have to start going through them to see which ones I will bring to my classroom.

15. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 19, 2007

check out the thread on picture books to use with the 6+1 writing traits, too. You will find lots more picture books you can use in 5th grade.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 19, 2007

I used several social studies picture books in the mornings - various books about the flag, Star Spangled Banner, other patriotic songs. I collect beautifully illustrated American history books and now have quite a few.

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 19, 2007

Some picture books I have in my room:
    The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales
    So You Want to Be the President?
    You wouldn't Want to ... (it's a series)
    Velcome!
    Agatha's Feather Bed
    We the Kids!
    John, Paul, George, and Ben (and Tom too)

BTW I found at Barnes & Noble some graphic novels about historical battles in America-Civil War and WWII. They are historically accurate. I bought a few of these for my room; I think my reluctant boys will get into them.

18. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jul 19, 2007

Knots on a Counting Rope (importance of sharing stories)
    The Web Files
    Nothing Ever Happens on 90th Street (generating ideas)
    The House on Mango Street
    Eats, Shoots, and Leaves (importance of punctuation)
    Not a Box (creative thinking)
    Uncle Jed's Barbershop

I know there are more, but I can't think right now!!

19. MountainLover

MountainLover Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

i don't think it has been mentioned...

The Greedy Triangle

This is great when covering the number of sides each shape has (Whether it is a standard or just a geometry review!) My kids loved this book. It is also an AR book...and the schools I have been to generally have the test. I think it is a 4.? leveled book...a little low for fifth...but if you are in a school like mine that is okay!

20. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2007

I agree that Voice in the park is an awesome book to help with voice. My students have always had a hard time with that one, and I could see light bulbs come on when I read this story.

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2007

I know that kids this age are often entering that stage where they are uncomfortable with their own skin, so to speak, so some Bibliotherapy books dealing with self esteem or being true to yourself would be good as well. These include (but are not limited to):
    A Bad Case of Stripes (not bending to peer pressure)
    I Wish I Were a Butterfly (self esteem, accepting yourself)
    The Sneetches (accepting each other)
    Chrysanthemum (bullying)
    The Hundred Dresses (accepting each other)
    A Chair for My Mother (generosity, family caring, aftermath of housefire)
    Sassafras (celebrating each other)
    I Like Myself! (self esteem -- great book!)
    No More Dead Dogs (school)
    A Corner of the Universe (mentally disabled sibling)
    Surviving the Applewhites (foster care)
    The Empty Pot (honesty)

Sorry the list is so long, lol. I'm nuts about books, and especially when they mean something!