5th grade novel units

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by LindsayRose, Feb 9, 2010.

1. imagination

imagination Rookie

Dec 20, 2011

I really like the Witches by Roald Dahl. It is amazing. You can also use a Venn Diagram and compare the movie and book.

2. teachingfran

teachingfran Rookie

Jan 16, 2012

I just started Book Clubs. I grouped my one class by "ability" so to speak and 2 groups are reading Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech and the other 2 are reading Ella Enchanted. I am excited to compare it to the movie also. They already like the book. We started with 2 chapters to "practice" our roles and walk through the discussion together. When they read the first 2 chapters several of them said it's sad and funny all at the same time. They seem to enjoy the "real books" as they say. My other class are mostly all struggling readers so we started with the Whipping Boy as it is 3.7 RL and I decided to do the whole class the same group but they still have small groups but that way if someone is absent or something they will still be able to discuss with others.

I have a whole class set of Hatchett I thought I would try with them next. My problem is what to do with my students that go to instructional resource and they can't read on their own. My idea was to meet with them on the days they meet to read and read with them and adapt their roles to illustrations, a sentence about it and have them try to tell me about a connection and I would always be the discussion leader and I would give them vocabulary. Any other suggestions for that group?

3. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jan 16, 2012

I do Island and if you need me I can copy the binder I have and mail it to you.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jan 17, 2012

My 5th graders favorites are as follows:

1. Bridge to Terabithia
    2. The Mysterious Matter of IM Fine
    3. Because of Winn Dixie
    4. The Girl Who Owned a City
    5. Measle and the Wrathmonk

These 5 books can't miss.

5. teachingfran

teachingfran Rookie

Jan 23, 2012

I have only heard of two of those books. I'll have to see if they are in the library! :)

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jan 27, 2012

I found all 5 at the libraries, so I think you should be able to find them there too. Good luck!

7. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Jan 30, 2012

I had my fourth graders (above level) read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH last year, and they were absolutely enthralled with it. We also saw the movie, but they vastly preferred the book.

This year we have done Summer of the Monkeys. It was quite long, as we do literature 2-3 times a week so we just got done with it and will be starting The Cay.

They also loved Number the Stars, the Phantom Tollbooth, and James and the Giant Peach (I read that one aloud as it had a few instances of language).

http://www.mce.k12tn.net/units/units_with_books.htm

The above site has A LOT of book units of all different levels!

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jan 30, 2012

The Wednesday Wars (runner up to the Newberry Award) is another great book. It came out in 2007.

9. Mr. Radiohead

Mr. Radiohead Rookie

Jun 2, 2012

What I read this year (my first year in 5th grade) in order from beginning of the year to end, this is whole class, not lit circles-

1. Among the Hidden- Class set, a big hit, will do again
    2. Number the Stars- Read aloud, kids liked it (no class set)
    3. Thief of Always- Read aloud, personal favorite of mine, kids showed some interest (no class set), good for Halloween time
    4. Bridge to Terabithia- Class set, another big hit, lots of symbolism to discuss with this book.
    5. Indian in the Cupboard- Class set, the boys really liked it
    6. Witch of Blackbird Pond- Class set, good historical fiction, kind of dry in my opinion (if I don't love it, it's hard for me to sell to the kids)- a few girls picked it as their end of the year favorite book for what it's worth.
    7. Dear Mr. Henshaw- Class set, kids liked it, did a letter writing unit around it.
    8. The Midnight Fox- Class set, middle of the road book, nothing bad or amazing to say

What I want to do next year-

1. Holes (class set)
    2. Among the Hidden (class set)
    3. A Wrinkle in Time (class set)
    4. When You Reach Me (class set)
    5. Bridge to Terabithia (class set)
    6. George Washington's Socks (class set)
    7. Indian in the Cupboard (class set)
    8. Dear Mr. Henshaw (class set)

I'm really excited about the Wrinkle in Time-When You Reach Me back to back reading, I think it's going to be a hit.