5th grade novel units

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by LindsayRose, Feb 9, 2010.

1. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

What about Found and Sent by Haddix. My students really loved Sharon Creech novels also.

2. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 15, 2010

The previous 5th grade teacher has done: Number the Stars, Bud, not Buddy, and Esperanza Rising. I've done Stars and Esperanza which I loved! I am taking over 5th this year and the incoming class has several who struggle so we may not get to novels until late in the year.

3. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 15, 2010

There is an excerpt (chapter) from Frindle as the first story in our basal. Guess others had the idea to start with that. I may do that as a read aloud after we finish the unit.

4. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jul 15, 2010

has anyone done harry potter?

5. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 15, 2010

I haven't done it as a whole group reading, but I have read it to my class. I am amazed by the number of students who have not read Harry Potter because they have seen the movie. Once I have read the first book to them, they usually want to read the next on their own or have me read the next one. I think it would probably go over very well students.

6. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 15, 2010

There is a great, but very old, picture book that I love to read aloud after we've read Frindle. Master of all Masters is about a servant girl who must learn all the crazy words her master has for the things in his house.

7. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 15, 2010

I've never heard of that book. Can you still get it from bookstores?

8. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 15, 2010

No. It's from the 70's! You can buy a used copy online and I just found out it's online in text form.

http://www.authorama.com/english-fairy-tales-45.html

I was just thinking that I would have the kids write a similar story with their own made up words. (With lots of guidelines for new words.)

9. MsOC

MsOC New Member

Jul 16, 2010

I will be teaching 5th this year also. Has anyone taught The Island of the Blue Dolphins?

10. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

My partner and I did Island of the Blue Dolphins.

We tried to do literature circles with about three books with the same theme (for ex. survival)

Sometimes we'd place them by level and other times we'd let them pick the book they wanted to read according to their interest.

They'd rotate between reading together, working with one of the teachers, and doing some work with the novel that we would assign.

Once they got the hang of it, it worked out great!

11. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 16, 2010

Number the Stars by Lois Lowery is a very good novel for the 5th grade, and it really gets them thinking. There are quite a few activities online to go along with it, too.

12. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 17, 2010

My students LOVE Jerry Spinelli books. I'm trying to convince my school to purchase a class set for us.

13. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jun 14, 2011

My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE Hatchet! We read it every year! Then when the kids get in 5th, we read the sequel (Brian's Return) or alternate ending (Brians' Winter).

We also do Tuck Everlasting! LOVE this one,too!

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jun 15, 2011

The Wednesday Wars is an incredible book (runner up Newberry Award a couple of years ago)--very funny, sometimes sad, and a bit of history as it takes place in 1968.

Small Steps by Louis Sachar I liked better than Holes. A few objectionable words, so read it first for sure.

Measel and the Wrath Monk is very exciting-- the students have a hard time putting this book down--it is that good!

The Girl Who Owned a City was the 5th grade students favorite book with a friend of mine who taught it last year. I just read it and plan on using it--it is very good with some good life lessons.

The Hatchet, The Lightning Thief, and Because of Winn Dixie are also great books.

15. carrieSAtoUSA

carrieSAtoUSA Rookie

Jun 22, 2011

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane! AMAZING book with so many descriptive passages. I read it every year and the kids beg for me to read more...

16. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jun 22, 2011

Edward Tulane

Isn't that a Newbery book? What's it about? I haven't read it yet.

17. carrieSAtoUSA

carrieSAtoUSA Rookie

Jun 23, 2011

I am not sure if it is a Newberry book? It's about a china rabbit who thinks he's "all that" but ends up leaving his life of luxury by accident and learns that life doesn't revolve around him. It's poignant, funny, sad and teaches lessons all the way through. Lots of descriptive language. Written by Kate DiCamillo. Do yourself a favor and read it - you won't be sorry!

18. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jun 23, 2011

Holes and Small Steps
    Hatchet, Brian's Winter, Brian's Return
    Where the Red Fern Grows

19. lugrad05

lugrad05 New Member

Jul 15, 2011

I am interested - 1st year @ 4/5 for me too! I do not know how to send PM.

20. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Nov 27, 2011

My fifth graders will be reading "Children of the Dust Bowl: The True Story of the School at Weedpatch Camp." My fifth graders read this last year and loved the book. They learned a lot about the Dust Bowl. It's a great book for teaching problem and solution and also cause and effect skills.