5th Grade Library

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by lolabear1, Jun 13, 2008.

1. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 22, 2008

Also check out freecycle.org and post that you are a new teacher and need children's books. Many people will clean out their closets and donate them to you. I also offered my kids an incentive for them to bring in their old books (with parent permission of course). I operated a swap shop in a sense. We have a classroom economy and the kids earn money through multiple ways. Kids brought in their old books and I paid $25 in class cash for each book. I collected over 200 books that way!!!

2. lolabear1

lolabear1 Rookie

Jun 22, 2008

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. I decided to check out a local used bookstore and hit the jackpot. They had the children's section separated by grade level! I traded in a bunch of my old books and got thirty books without having to pay a dime. While it is just a start to my collection, it feels nice to at least have something!

3. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jun 22, 2008

Scholastic would be the best place to start. Up here in Canada, Scholastic always has "classroom library" packs with up to 50 books in it. It'll have a varied reading level to appeal to most between grades 4-8; there are also primary libraries for purchase. They tend to run around $50 and up depending on what you order. This would give you a big collection at anywhere from $1-$3 per book and it saves the running around at garage sales. I'd also consider putting an announcement in your classroom newsletter (if you do one) in September. Parents might be willing to donate. I've even had students donate to the library over the course of the year.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 22, 2008

Good deal, lolabear. I have at least 1000 books and couldn't face putting them in book boxes, so they are shelved like a library. Peachyness, how did you face separating them all? It looked wonderful. Want to come to Florida to help me?

I love searching for books at thrift stores. There were some good suggestions above. I would add: books by Avi, Rascal, My Side of the Mountain, A Wrinkle in Time, Bunnicula, books by Sharon Creech, Sahara Special, Dear America series books, Hatchet, and lots of fantasy and biographies.

5. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 23, 2008

You are going to love 5th grade AND 5th graders!! :)

Not mentioned so far, I think:
    the Kidnapped series by Gordon Korman
    He has several great series:Island, Dive, Everest, On the Run Series (which precludes the Kidnapped Series)
    Dan Gutman books: Baseball series-Babe and Me, Jackie and Me, etc.
    and the Kid Who Ran For President, Million Dollar Shot, The Homework Machine
    Number the Stars
    Night of the Twisters
    Peg Kehret books: Nightmare Mountain, Earthquake Terror,etc.
    House Without a Christmas Tree and Thanksgiving Treasure
    The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
    Shiloh Series
    Fudge Series
    Hatchet Series...Gary Paulson books
    Dear America Books and My Name is America
    Where the Red Fern Grows
    My kids really got into the Henry Winkler (yes, the Fonz from Happy Days! :) ) books this year: the Hank Zipper books-Day of the Iguana, Summer School, What Genius Thought That Up?
    Chocolate Fever
    Sort of Forever
    Summer of Riley
    Time Bike
    Chronicles of Narnia
    Time Warp Trio Books by Jon Scieszka
    Out of the Dust
    ALL the Clements books
    Richard Peck books
    Sounder
    Sadako
    Dear Mr. Henshaw and Strider
    Caddie Woodlawn
    Secret School
    Holes
    Sign of the Beaver
    Music of the Dolphins
    Biographies are popular at this age, too!

There are more, but I had better stop!! :D I have found that each class has it's own reading personality, just as it does its own behaviorial personality. :) Seems like a group of books will be really popular one year and then not as in demand the next.:) For independent reading, I allow 4.0 books on up. I am constantly encouraging them to grow as readers, but to really begin to enjoy
    reading they shouldn't struggle. I have found, too, that a reading level may be at say a 3rd grade level, but the issues and concepts dealt with in a book are within the understanding of an older child, so reading levels do not always tell the whole picture. I think ACR levels especially are misleading as they take into account only the number of words in the book, so I would be a bit flexible when you decide which books will meet your reading goals...if that makes sense. :)

Sorry this is so long! One more thing is that I would encourage you to really use Scholastic to build your library. They are awesome in what they offer for teacher incentives. Each fall you get like $20 in free books just to start you off (with a classroom order of $20:). Then, you get $10 for each of the rest of the months of the year. In addition, you get points from what the kids order and they have lots of coupons and free items all year long. I give my kids both the Lucky and the Arrow books clubs to order from. It is more work, but it pays off in the long run with classroom books...I put ALL of my points right back into books!

For my DEAR reading time, I have multiple copies of books and have the kids read in groups. They seem to stay on task better and there is nothing like sharing a great book with someone else. They get so excited and run up to share passages with me or ask questions. They are much less likely to skip over something they don't understand when reading with a partner or in a group of three. I also do Lunch Bunch where they read a book on their own and we meet over lunch twice a week to discuss what they read!

Way more info than you asked for...sorry, but hope it is helpful!! Best of luck in 5th...you will love it!! :)

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 30, 2008

I agree that having a large range of text difficulty is a good idea. I have books in my classroom library ranging from the Timewarp Trio books (late 2nd gr.) to tales of Greek heros, gods, and monsters (probably mid-late 6th). Whenever we do bookreports the students are free to choose a title within the genre, but I must approve each book so I know the children aren't just reading easy books that aren't challenging them. Don't forget that having a variety of picture books, especially for non-fiction, is a must. Boys especially don't always like to sit and read novels. I have had a number of boys over the years that refused to pick up any book with few or no pictures, but give them a DK book or comic book (Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, etc) and they were thrilled. The record books (Ripleys, Guiness, etc) are always popular as well.

7. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 1, 2008

I would do a search for 5th grade reading lists, and you'll turn up a bunch of sites. Previously I did teach fifth grade and the scholastic magazine for that group is Arrow. I used to buy tons every month from the catalog and there is also book libraries from Scholastic 40 books for $49 for different grade levels, you might try there first. Hope this helps!

8. Panther

Panther Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

I live near a Borders Bookstore and have found that the staff there is absolutely wonderful about helping teachers. You can go in and ask them about what titles are popular with kids. I think they can pull something up on their computers that can help you. They also offer 20% off for teachers whether it is a resource for your classroom or student titles. I think Barnes and Nobles does the same. I know the Borders here takes Purchase orders and will order the books or pull them from the shelves for you and hold them. Hope this helps with ideas. I have a couple of websites, but they're not with me right now.

9. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 7, 2008

I was really lucky when I came in and the teacher before me left me about 300 - 400 books. Since then (I just finished my second year), I've added at least another several hundred. I love used book stores. A lot of them will give you a discount if you're a teacher. You will need a lot of ranges of reading levels because all kids don't read the same. On Scholastic, they usually have books listed by grade level so that should help you a lot. Find books that sound interesting to you, but also to your students if you were step into their shoes. One type of book that I don't have enough of is science fiction. My boys love those. Also, humor.

Some of our favorite authors/books are:
    Jerry Spinelli
    Andrew Clements
    Diary of a Wimpy Kid (the boys love it, I couldn't keep it on my shelf)
    City of Ember series
    Harry Potter Series
    The boys and Girls Guide (those ones about how to do everything)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret