5th grade homework

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Bloom, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Jul 17, 2007

What is an acceptable number of pages to expect a student to read and comprehend for a homework assignment in 5th grade Language Arts. I have a 48 page book on the life of Langston Hughes I am interested in developing a lesson/unit plan on and am curious as to what is a good number of pages to read a night. I was thinking of having the book finished in 3 days/night (with one day of in class out loud reading) and testing at the end of the week.

If you haven't figured out...I am a student and not experienced in this stuff!

HELP!

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 17, 2007

I guess it would depend on the student. I had a few students last year who could have read the entire book in one night, with great comprehension. On the other hand I also had students who would have probably struggled with reading and comprehending 5-10 pages. What grade level is the book? Nonfiction is usually slightly above whatever gradel evel it states.(for instance if it says 5.0 it maybe somewhere around a 7.0). You really need to consider the reading levels of all of your students, or you may only want to assign this to students with a higher reading level.

4. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Shasha,

If memory serves me right (can't find the site) it was from 3-6 grade. I was thinking of assigning 20 pages the first night, reading about 10 page in class together and then the last 18 the third night.

I am not currently a teacher, and my son (who is going into 9th) always reads way more than the required work....and is my basis for student reading levels (he is not a great student, but loves to read!). It is so hard for me to create this stuff in a vacuum without knowing the students. So I suppose I am looking for a general idea. Do you think 20 pages is too much based on other classes homework and reading levels?

5. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 17, 2007

I think 20 pages is too much for fifth graders. Keeping in mind that it is nonfiction which can be boring and difficult to read for them. Will you be including some type of comprehension activity to go along with it? Will they be taking notes or anything?

6. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Jul 18, 2007

My thoughts were to provide them with a poem from Langston Hughes during the first lesson and asking them to try to pull out a few ideas regarding his backgroud or feelings of African Americans of the time period based on their reading of the poem. The next few lessons would have them read the book and we would discuss their understanding of the materials in class. We would conclude the reading of the life of Langston Hughes and re-read the poem and see what we thought after understanding his backgroud and the time period. I think I will break the book about a bit longer and just quiz on the book at the end of the week to determine their understanding. I was going to have them also write down any vocabulary words from the text that they found challenging. Do you think 10 pages is acceptable for this age group? Do you have any suggestions for a comprehension assignment to confirm their understanding? I was building this out as a 3 week lesson moving onto more of his poetry and then having them develop a poem of their own at the end.

What are you doing up this late anyway? I thought I was nuts staying up until 12:00 with this stuff!!

7. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 18, 2007

This site is very addictive. I've stayed up until 3:00 on it:eek: (yeah crazy I know, but hey I don't have work tomorrow:p ) I think ten pages is more realistic. Some may still struggle though. I would have them create a R.A.F.T. about Langston Hughes.http://www.greece.k12.ny.us/instruction/ela/6-12/Reading/Reading Strategies/RAFT.htm I would also give them lots of graphic organizers to use. It might be a good idea to go ahead and pull out some of the vocab you think may be difficult, and go over them before hand. They may also benefit from reviewing the parts of a nonfiction book( table of contents, glossary...).

8. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Jul 18, 2007

Thanks for the great ideas....it is so hard being a student and not having experience in these areas. We have to create these lesson plans without the benefit of knowing the students and not having experience. I am so glad I found this site! I will defintely use your suggestions and check out the site you mentioned (I actually saw it tonight when I was looking into sight word instructions...we have to tutor a client in this class as well!) I may just break down the reading of this book even further. I really appreciate you taking the time to talk/type with me! How long have you been teaching? I have 4 kids (18, 14 (stepkids) and 3 and 2), so I can only base my experience on being the parent of a student. That has helped me a lot on my previous classes (psych, action research, communication, etc.), but is not as helpful in the actual subject instruction. My previous experience was in the legal and computer field. I did provide a lot of training in my previous position, but adult training...kids is a whole new ball game. Did you start out as a teacher?

9. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 18, 2007

This will be my third year as a classroom teacher. I was a paraprofessional(teacher's assistant) for two years prior. I have always known I wanted to teach, but I thought I wanted to teach high schoolers. I majored in history because I thought I wanted to teach it. After college I became a para at an elementary school, and decided I wanted to teach younger kids. Because my degree was in history I had to get my certification alternatively. What will your certification be in?

10. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Jul 18, 2007

Funny....my undergraduate is in history. I thought I wanted to teach college, but also like the law so became a paralegal and worked in that field for 10+ years. I was on the undergraduate track to teach secondary ed for history and english, but switched to straight history to pursue law school (which I never did). So I have a history degree and now after having children (and step children) have decided to go back to the original idea! I will have a masters in elementary education when I finish with this program (I am currently a stay home mom), but think I will focus on middle school (or 4th-5th grade).

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

Hi DawnMartin. Being a parent is great experience for becoming a teacher. I've taught 5th for 6 years and have used Langston Hughes' poetry. I love reading the kids' interpretations. If the book you are going to use is a chapter book, I would assign one chapter per night. If it isn't, then I wouldn't assign more than 10 pages, and I would probably have them fill out a graphic organizer or a cloze activity the next day in class, as well as have them share with partners or the class.

Good luck. You have your hands full.

12. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 18, 2007

I think a chapter or two - which ever is closest to 10 pages is adequate for fifth and sixth graders.

Have you seen this site? It has a lot of ideas to use with teaching about Lanston Hughes.

http://www.webenglishteacher.com/hughes.html