5th Grade Field Trips

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by MsMaggs, Aug 17, 2008.

1. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

Okay, I hate field trips! Really, I do! It's my least favorite part of teaching. :down: However, I know my students love it and that these outside of the classroom experiences can really enhance learning and make great real world connections for my students, so I do them. I'm curious to see where you take your 5th Graders on field trips (especially those of you who teach in Northern CA too). Here's where we went last year:

ExploreIt Museum (Hands On Science Museum with a Digestion Exhibit last year)
    Wizard of Oz Play (Our Entire Middle School went)
    Discovery Museum and IMax Theater (3-D Space Station Movie & Space Quest Activities)

*We only get to go on 3 field trips. :D

What did you do last year/ What do you plan to do this year?

3. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 17, 2008

Last year we went to New Orleans to the zoo, IMAX, and aquarium. That was 3 hours away. Not many went it wasn't worth the money. This year the prinicpal said no field trips. THe only ones that can go is student councel, GAT, etc. I am glad it was alot of trouble and not many going..

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2008

In the past, we've gone to plays in Atlanta and to a state park to see Civil War ruins and have a picnic.

But no trips this year. I'm not really upset about it. I know they need them, and get a lot out of them, but.....

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2008

Most of ours are "district" trips- see a play, hear a symphony, etc...

Last year we did go to the circus. We did a huge unit on simple machines and how they are used in the circus.

(I also hate field trips- funny how I loved them before I took one as a teacher :lol:)

6. mixedup1

mixedup1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

You're lucky you get so many trips. Our elementary classes get one trip per year and PTO provides $3.50 for each student. If the fee is more than that-then we usually find someplace cheaper which really limits our options. We also get to attend one play put on by a local college.

7. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 18, 2008

This is set up for homeschoolers, but it has a great list of trips in the SF Bay Area if that's where you are in Northern California.

http://www.homefires.com/fieldtrips/

A good resource is also Fun Places to Go with Children in Northern California. Lots of good ideas.

8. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

I guess I'm crazy but I LOVE field trips! I taught 5th grade the last two years and we took our 5th graders to Carlsbad Caverns in NM as well as the orchestra. During my student teaching, my grade level did an OVERNIGHT camping field trip at Palo Duro Canyon State Park. We had lots of parents/chaperones for that one, but it was great!