5/6th Grade Procedures and Consequences

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by OUOhYeah, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 19, 2015

Are you referring to repeated oral readings here?

My biggest advice for classroom management is develop a rapport with your students, talk and interact with them a lot. Have fun with them.

2. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

I wasn't at all going to hand this to them, it was just for my mental thinking and what I need to set in stone for the first day, if that makes sense? I know that wasn't clear earlier.

I know reading for 30 minutes will help them read better. I honestly feel like they will increase fluency if they practice, practice, practice. I will also be modeling things and working with them on comprehension and vocabulary. I love reading and I want them to learn how to read well.

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 19, 2015

I'm sorry you felt attacked. Your first post scared me in terms of unrealistic expectations of students. I totally get needing to be firm. My next upcoming class was just like the class you're getting. They were a mess in 3rd. But their current 4th grade teachers structured their day and set rules, procedures and boundaries. They were known as the "bad kids". Now I see them in the hallways and in class attentive, engaged and well behaved. More so than my own students. Like I said before the key to managing students effectively is a balance of love and firmness. Also be consistent with expectations and consequences. Personally I feel what you envision will be hard to implement over time.

You'll find what works for you. Don't be afraid to reach out to this community. We are willing to help. Why not revise your thoughts on an updated procedure/rules list and let us help you. If people can help others fix their resume and cover letters I'm pretty sure we can help you fix your procedures/rules.

4. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

Here's an updated one hopefully this looks better:
    Procedures and Consequences

Homework: Monday through Thursday you will have homework to reinforce the skills taught in class. Homework must be turned in the next day. Late homework will receive a 50% reduction in your grade for that assignment. Each 9 weeks students will receive a homework pass that will allow them an extra day for any homework assignment if they keep this pass all quarter in their homework folder, they will receive 5 bonus points in the subject that they choose.

Tests and Quizzes: During quiz and test time I will be monitoring to ensure there isn’t any cheating. Cheating is an immediate 0 in my class. I will ask you to bring the test to me and you will not be allowed to complete it. If this happens on a second occasion you will be referred to the office.

Reading Log: Every two weeks you will receive a “reading log” front and back. You will need to reading 30 minutes each day.

Consequences: If you break a rule you will have the following consequences:
    1. Banished to Australia for 15 minutes
    2. Apology Letter
    a. Letter must be written with at least 2 paragraphs explaining why you were writing the letter, and how you will make sure it never happens again.
    b. If the letter is not brought back to school signed the next day, a phone call will be made home to a parent.
    3. Lunch/Recess Detention
    4. Phone Call Home
    5. Office Referral

Prize Jar: Students may earn marbles for the prize jar by following the expectations of the class. They may also lose marbles! When we reach the top of the jar a pizza party will happen, where we will watch a movie and eat pizza. This of course, will be provided by yours truly.

Sticks: I will be using sticks to help keep the class engaged in instruction. If I pick a stick the student will need to answer the question. If the student does not know the answer to the question I will pick another stick and put their stick back into the jar to be picked later.

Journals: You will be given a journal for ELA to write in. I will have prompts on the board during writing time that you MUST write A FULL page about. Each week I will collect the journals and give you 5 points for completing the assignments each day, and up to 5 points for your answer from the question I choose.

Lining Up: I will ask the class to be at level 0 before we line up. Only tables that have been cleaned up and supplies put away will be allowed to line up. When we line up we will be ABSOLUTELY SILENT AND YOU WILL PUSH IN YOUR CHAIRS. There will be no talking what so ever. I will send students back to their seats if they are talking and we will start the WHOLE process over again.

Bathroom: You will need to sign out before going to the bathroom. You do not need to raise your hand and ask me, just go. When you return you will sign back in.

Teacher’s Desk: Students will not be permitted behind my desk for any reason.

Greeting: As you noticed today I was outside the door ready to shake your hand before you walked into the classroom. If you were talking I asked you to get your stuff and get back in line to come back into the classroom. This process will continue until the student walks into the classroom, puts their things away in the designated spot, and puts their homework out and begins working on homework/reading for 30 minutes silently. Absolutely no talking will happen during this time.

Dismissal: You will ALWAYS put the supplies back into the tubs at your desk, and then hand them to me to be locked away in my cabinet. You will also throw away any trash and make sure our room looks good for the next day. You will also sit in your chairs quietly, before I dismiss you after everything else has been completed. Then, I will ask you to push your chairs in and line up in a single file line based on your tribe. While we are lining up YOU MUST remember the rules while lining up or else we will never get dismissed .

Seating: Where you are sitting is where you will be sitting for the rest of the 1st 9 weeks. I will then have you move seats the 2nd 9 weeks, 3rd 9 weeks, and 4th 9 weeks. I reserve the right to move seats.

Buckets: Each tribe will have a bucket with a flavor on it from the first book we will be reading. This bucket will be for all the students at that tribe to use and will HAVE TO BE KEPT IN THE CENTER OF THE GROUP AT ALL TIMES! It will be full of pencils, pens, colored pencils, and other necessities needed throughout the school day. I will lock them up after each school day in my cabinet. ALL ITEMS THAT ARE TAKEN OUT OF THE BUCKET MUST BE PUT BACK IN THE BUCKET BEFORE WE LEAVE THE CLASSROOM! If we are running low on supplies the pencil checker will need to alert me of their supply levels.

Classroom Jobs:
    1. Pencil Checker – Must alert me of pencils that need to be replaced. They must also check the pencils to see if they need to be sharpened. Before we leave class they must sharpen those pencils. THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT SHOULD EVER SHARPEN PENCILS ARE THE PENCIL SHARPENERS!!!!
    2. Team Captain – This student will be responsible for collecting all papers (EXCEPT TESTS AND QUIZZES) that must be turned in, and turn them in to the tray. THE CAPTAIN MUST MAKE SURE THAT ALL PAPERS HAVE A NAME ON IT!!!!
    3. Cleaners – These students must keep their tribe area clean. That means they need to throw away paper from the floor, put pencils away, and help keep their tribe area nice and neat. Also, this means they will need to make sure all desks are aligned correctly.

Rewards:
    • For the student with the most homework turned in on Friday will receive another homework pass on top of their homework pass that the received at the beginning of the quarter. The same rules apply about the extra credit points . For example, pokemon cards will not be permitted.

• I will also hand out stickers for you to put on your folder. At the end of the quarter you will be able to buy rewards with the stickers. For example, a homework pass, or eating with the teacher, or sitting in a rolly chair for a day. You will earn stickers for being a role model for our school.
    Folders:
    • This year you will be given a folder to keep all of your homework assignments and newsletters in for the school year. This homework folder is for you and your parents to keep track of how you are doing in class. I will also print progress reports each week for the students to share with you. Students will be required to bring their homework folder to school every day in order to turn in the homework. I will do folder checks each quarter, and if everyone brings their folder that day they will receive marbles added to the prize jar. If however, they do not ALL have their homework folder, they will lose marbles based off of the number of students that forgot to bring it. The idea behind this is to teach the students to have responsibility for their learning and their possessions. This folder will also be the folder you will collect your stickers on.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 19, 2015

I would really think about a different first consequence. You can't always send a student to Australia (I'm guessing that's a time out area?) for 15 minutes. What will you do if you already have one student there and another student breaks a rule?

6. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

1. Teacher Conference w/ Student
    2. Lunch/Recess Detention
    3. Apology Letter (Banished to Australia) 15 minutes. Will write letter there.
    a. Letter must be written with at least 2 paragraphs explaining why you were writing the letter, and how you will make sure it never happens again.
    b. If the letter is not brought back to school signed the next day, a phone call will be made home to a parent.
    4. Phone Call Home
    5. Office Referral

I thought about it and you were right. Thank you!

7. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jun 19, 2015

It's still so wordy and some of it is contradictory. For example, why have the sticks if they don't have to answer when called on if they don't know the answer? Just lose the sticks and use another method to track and encourage participation.

The letter they have to write will be a joy for them because while they're doing that, they can avoid the other work. Have a fill in the blank form instead.

Rather than have all of that independent reading time, do mini phonics/comprehension/fluency lessons and practice for 20 minutes. Have 10 minutes of SILENT reading time.

8. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 19, 2015

What is the point of the reading log? Do you think it will hold students accountable for actually reading? It won't.

9. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

No, but I believe the sentences will.

Also, I like the sticks idea. I felt like I called on the same students while I was student teaching, so the sticks will eliminate that.

10. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jun 19, 2015

I'll reiterate that if you have a spare hour every day for reading and homework, then use that time for direct instruction and skills practice. You could even teach them social skills a couple of times a week; they would probably benefit greatly from thatand there are curricula available. Your school psych could help you on that end.

11. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

True, but I want them to be reading. The first 30 minutes is when they are eating breakfast, so I don't foresee a lot of homework being done there. I do however, foresee the last 30 minutes being utilized every day.

Also we will be using Daily Language Practice and Spelling City a lot.

12. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 19, 2015

I've taught in urban settings, and I never could get reading logs to work for me. I used reading conferences to make sure students were reading. Logs never got completed for a variety of reasons: didn't want to, slept in their family car that night, played "mom" while mom was at work, no electricity, etc. These were fourth and fifth graders.

13. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jun 19, 2015

I think a lot of the things you wrote out in your rules are things that can be established as firm procedures without being written out for students to see. For example... line expectations, pencil sharpening, morning greetings, etc. Having it written out is great for you because you know exactly what you want to see and can stick to it better that way, but giving to students a document that looks like that first post most likely will not help with control of the room. Use the first week or so to teach procedures and practice, but keep it firm and positive, not just a list of rules and regulations.

Another option (and if someone has suggested this already, I apologize -- I didn't read every reply) is to have the students be involved in some of the rule making. For example, ask them: What are some ways we can make a positive environment? What are some things that would show you are being responsible for ____? Things like that. It gives the students some say in their learning rather than just being TOLD what to do, and "difficult" students may be more willing to follow rules that they helped come up with than rules that were forced upon them at the beginning of the year.

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 19, 2015

I certainly didn't mean to attack you originally. I'm sorry if my post came across as harsh - it just shocked me a bit. We were missing a lot of background information in your original post. For one thing, I had no idea you were a new teacher, because it wasn't mentioned. I also think the tone came across as kind of intense and forceful due to all of the caps. You sound completely different in your other posts!

You mentioned later that this is not a document that students will see, but that was unclear as well in the original post. I agree with others - this is a great thing to have for yourself, but not something that students should see.

Just a couple thoughts from the replies and updates:
    You may not want students reading while they're eating. Are they reading YOUR classroom library books? I would feel a little uncomfortable having food out around my own purchased books every day, but maybe that is just me. I personally do not do traditional "morning work" - my students read or write. It's the food that would complicate it for me.

I do use sticks to call on students in my classroom...sometimes. I only use them after students have had an opportunity to discuss with a partner or with their group. I never "cold call" on students that way. Just something to think about.

I do agree with you that independent reading is incredibly valuable. I try to have 20-30 minutes of it every day. (My goal really is 30). I'm taking from The Book Whisperer and Reading in the Wild, books by Donalyn Miller, for this. However, I do conference with students during that time so I can check in with them. One idea you may want to try is reading letters. I do this in a Google doc, but you could use a plain journal too - that's how I started the year. The kids write me a letter about what they're reading, and I write back each week. I have 28 students, so I did 6 each day Mon-Thurs, and 4 on Fri. In the letters, I would ask them questions to answer, like "What do you think a theme in your book is?" or "What are some character traits you notice in _____?" The kids seemed to really like this, and I was able to check in with them more frequently. Essentially, this is like the "sentences" you mentioned, except it's written in a letter form and I actually reply, which makes the kids have more buy in. Just something to consider.

You have the right idea figuring this all out before school starts.

Have you heard of the book Dream Class? I actually haven't read all of it, but I know there is a good section in there on teaching procedures at the beginning of the year. I think I'll reread it, myself.

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2015

I also like the idea you have of writing it all out for your own reference while you are establishing your expectations with students. I also didn't have time to read your entire original post or the revision doc. Are you keeping this private or sharing it with parents?