5/6th Grade Procedures and Consequences

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by OUOhYeah, Jun 18, 2015.

1. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

Okay, I would like all of you to please note that I am a first year teacher and have been told that the students I will have next year are rough. I know a few of them personally and they are pretty unstructured. I really do not appreciate the negative comments towards me as an educator.. I think there was one person that actually wanted to help me out. However, I am a bit upset at how many of you are bashing me as if I have tons of experience, you know? I am trying to think through everything possible. Now that I hear it is overwhelming I can finalize. I was just asking for opinions. I honestly would have expected a lot of critique from teachers, but nothing like this. This makes me feel horrible to be honest.

Also the reading outloud thing has to go back to their reading scores. Most of them are significantly low.

2. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 19, 2015

Ok, so I apologize if you feel bad, but maybe you could have offered up some more information in your first post? Perhaps give your situation, let us know that you have a difficult class rising, and that you want to make sure you are covered in all areas. We will help. Your first post kind of made it sound like "here's what I'm doing, no questions".

Knowing what you just said here, then I would doubly suggest that while in the background YOU need to have this information, what you present to the kids should be simple, cut and dry, and practiced endlessly in those first days.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2015

I won't be another negative Nellie, but, you asked for advice and received it from many veteran teachers.

I can't really give you much advice...I didn't finish reading.

Can you condense all that into just a few classroom rules, and make things more positive? Please ask if you need specific advice on changes. I understand that you are a new teacher and you don't know much about your students yet.

The best way to develop a rapport with rough students is to get them to respect you..not by giving them pages of rules that are so complicated your peers couldn't follow it.

4. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

Well, thank you for the apology! My class will be rough. Mostly ADHD students and low level readers, which is why I will give them so much time to read. I want them to practice, you know? Also, this is an urban setting, where they have little structure at home. I want them to feel like I care about them and I was told to be rough. I have met these kids and worked with them and I care about all of them. Maybe my mind is thinking one way and it isn't translating well. I 100% would never have given this document to any of my students EVER without consulting someone. I apologize for making you think that. I think I was in a rush while typing my first post.

My question is, if my students refuse to listen to me, how do I get them to listen to me? They are that type of class. I have been told to be SUPER hard the first month that I do this... I was taught to use Responsive Classroom while student teaching. I love it, and me being harsh doesn't sound like me.... I really need help.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2015

As a first year teacher, you will want to keep things simple. You want to establish routines and structure in your classroom, but the ability to follow through is important. If you have several students facing consequences for a variety of infractions, you are going to be doing a lot of paper-chasing. Think about things you can do that won't make more work for yourself. Things like moving a student's seat, having a private conversation in the hall or keeping them for a couple of minutes at lunch time can send a strong message without taking much of your time.

Try not to judge your group before you meet them. Go in with high expectations and they just might rise to meet them. Respect your students as individuals and get to know their needs. The key to good classroom management is being firm, fair and consistent; your students will recognize and respect that.

6. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

Okay, thank you for that! My students cannot line up in a single file line, facing forward correctly. When I say line up (when I did my demo) they got into a clump and I showed them how to line up. They still got into a clump. The other teachers at my school are telling me I will have the worst class in the building, and I want to show them that they are good kids. I know I just gave a lot of things, but those are just things I am thinking of. I want to show these people that I can manage my classroom well. How can I do that if they refuse to listen to me? I believe respect has to be earned and I don't think I have earned their respect yet. How can I do this?

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2015

In my experience, I've discovered that other people's opinions about students is based on their relationships with those students. Although you may have to hear them out, you are under no obligation to prejudge your students and expect the worse. They may just surprise you by allowing you to get to know them and not their misinterpreted reputations. Kids can be reinvented every day if we give them the opportunity to begin again with the right tools to build their self-esteem and motivation to do their best. Remember that they are still discovering who they are and it is our job to help guide them, even when they take a wrong turn. We never just watch them go the wrong way and continue to drive them in that wrong direction. We turn them around with our support, love, encouragement, and belief in them even when they still haven't learned to believe in themselves.:hugs:

mrsboxley likes this.
  8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2015

The biggest thing you will want to work on for the first part of the school year is classroom management. Set your expectations clearly, practice them A LOT, and follow through with appropriate consequences.

I would suggest that you meet with your students and come up with some basic classroom rules and consequences. You may be surprised that their consequences may be more drastic than yours!

Have you tried googling "classroom rules for 5th or 6th grade" and see what other teachers have used? Google is my best friend when I want to know what other teacher's ideas are.

Try to relax and don't think of your class as rough. Challenging might be a more positive term for you to concentrate on.

9. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

I don't think this document was me treating them inhumanly. I also believe my class will be challenging, but I hear a lot of these words already.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2015

Don't listen to what the other teachers are saying. Children respond differently to a different situation. Respect them, listen to them, and show them that you care about them. They will rise to your expectations!

11. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

So where should I begin with editing this? I honestly want my students to know that I care, but that I mean business. I want them to come into school everyday and be super excited to work hard.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2015

I have condensed your first paragraph into what would be the most important information for my 5/6 class. All those other rules would be overwhelming, and not necessary in my class. I'm not saying you have to run your class the same way...just that less is better.

13. Banana0

Banana0 Rookie

Jun 19, 2015

So I'm also going to be a first year teacher, and this summer I'm reading The Classroom Management Book by Wong and Wong. They wrote the classic First Days of School, but it's their newer book with suggestions for all kinds of procedures. There are couple that I don't like or won't use, but mostly it's been REALLY great and easing a lot of my concerns for the upcoming year. You might find it as helpful as I do. I've been working in schools for years but I still feel like I need to do my studying up in the summer to decide how I want to do things. I think it's great that you wrote out all of your procedures and I plan to do something similar, but maybe just in a more simple and easy to understand format and with different types of consequences.

Also, I don't think anyone was trying to attack you personally, they were just offering constructive criticism. Being flexible and able to see what needs improvement is a skill that will be important for both of us this year!

Edit to add: This blog post might also be helpful. It was for me. Also, I have no association whatsoever to either this blog or the book! http://teachinginroom6.blogspot.com/2014/08/classroom-procedures-are-must.html (I don't know why the URL is showing up like this, you'll have to just copy and paste...)

14. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

Oh I know, and I want help. I always will want help and advice. I just felt like they were attacking me as a teacher because of my inexperience. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that they did that because I have a better understanding of what needs to be done.

Thanks!

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 19, 2015

You are going to need to practice, practice, practice, and practice some more. And when you think they've got a procedure down, you'll review, review, review. Use real life to talk about homework. Give them something to take home (something easy, that everyone will do) on the first day. Then the next day, practice how you want them to turn it in. Do this several times that day. Talk about what will happen if it is late. Try to predict any situation-what if someone is sick? What if someone leaves it in their locker? What if someone doesn't do the assignment? Anticipate.

Practice going to the bathroom. I don't agree at all with one break a day, or whatever you said to begin with. That's not me being harsh, that's me being realistic. If you try this, I promise you it will not end well. Now, you might have school rules to follow here, but in general, it's never a good idea to say out loud to students that they will only get X amount of breaks, at certain times. Because someone WILL have to go at a different time. And what will you do in that situation? You'll be backed into a corner, and you'll have to make a tough call, and SOMEONE will be mad about it. You'll be lucky if it's the kid. I would suggest (provided your school allows you autonomy) a more flexible break schedule-you'll have to work that out.

The reading thing-I don't know your students, but just making the read more isn't going to make them read better.

You asked where to edit this-please reconsider handing this to the kids. Like, at all. Just don't. Practice with them instead, until they can tell you the procedures. Involve them.

Above all, you may have heard stories, but I'll echo MrsC-please don't pass judgment on them now. You can't make them respect you, but you can treat them with respect and hold them to high expectations. They will respond in kind.