4th grade teachers- What activities are you doing for the first day of school?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Mrs Ski, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jun 22, 2010

Just wanting some age appropriate first day activities. Any ideas?

3. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 22, 2010

I do the All About me poster like the one in the link below. I'm also going to do a scrapbook page that they will write their reflections concerning their expectations for the upcoming year. I will give them cards where they will write a goal they have for the school year. I will try to have them measure themselves ie arms, leg, height for a student time capsule activity.

I will read "First Day Jitters" & have a discussion about it. I may have them do a writing activity about. I will take their pictures. Have them set up their cubbies & supplies. And I need to think of what else (time permitting)

http://www.staples.com/Instant-Personal-Poster-Sets-Extra-Extra-Read-All-About-Me!/product_753761?cm_mmc=GoogleProductAds-_-Search-_-blank-_-blank

4. MsG

MsG Companion

Jun 22, 2010

We make time capsules. They write a letter to themselves about what they think 4th grade will be like, what they hope to do/learn, what they're nervous about, what they want to accomplish, etc. They also measure each other and cut yarn for their height. I take a picture of them. They do a hand tracing. The last thing that goes in the time capsule is a page they fill out about their favorite things. I keep these until the end of the year and they open them the last week of school. They love it!

We also come up with classroom expectations, set up cubbies and supplies, read letters from last year's fourth graders (they wrote letters with advice), play get to know you games, and read aloud.

5. MsSci4

MsSci4 Rookie

Jun 26, 2010

My kids brainstorm a list of ways to display our hopes and goals for the year and we vote for one. Then I give them a math problem to figure out how big each "shape" needs to be so everyone's goal can fit on the bulletin board (minus room for the title). Last year the kids voted on peace signs and each one had to be about 7 inches in diameter. =)

6. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 1, 2010

Do you have a pic of this? Sounds interesting.

7. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para!

Jul 2, 2010

Love the Time Capsule idea, MsG! What do you do with students who enroll later in the year? Also, do they put their piece of yarn itself into the capsule (I'm assuming so... or do they just use it to measure and then write down the measurement?)? What about taking a digital photo on the first day, too?

8. MsG

MsG Companion

Jul 2, 2010

For kids who come in late, I have them fill out their favorites page, but they usually don't do the rest of it. They do cut the yarn based on their height and put it in the capsule. One year I did Pringles cans and they decorated them...last year I got tired of eating Pringles, so we just made envelopes with construction paper. :lol: We do a picture also! I take a picture the last week, too, so they can compare and see how they've changed.

9. Braydon's Mom

Braydon's Mom Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

We do lots of the things listed above, too. We also do a big postersize class puzzle. I pre-cut "20" big puzzle pieces out ahead of time and they decorate them with their name, hobbies, family, talents, etc...Then, as a cooperative activity, they have to put the puzzle together to figure out what it is. It's usually a heart. Then I put it up in the room with a sign that says, "The HEART of fourth grade!" (I've also done the shape of our mascot before)

10. njteach41

njteach41 Companion

Jul 10, 2010

i do the class puzzle too! they love it.

11. durigkar

durigkar New Member

Jul 13, 2010

I do a "Get to Know Your Teacher" Power Point game where the students have to figure out whether statements about me are true or false. They work together in teams to see who can get the most items correct. Then the students play a similar version of the game by thinking of two facts about themselves that are true, and one that is false. They write each fact on a different note card, and the class tries to figure out which one is false.

I also put a goodie bag on each desk when they arrive with some fun little gifts inside like pencils, sharpeners, erasers, a snack for the first day, etc.

12. mrsburf

mrsburf Rookie

Jul 14, 2010

This is my first year teaching, so I've been working on my first weeks (first days) lessons. I'm going to do a Who I Am worksheet, a beach ball circle to get to know each other, Class Dictionary to make a bulletin board, Word Search with the students' names, Perfect Class to create a class statement, Buddy Venn Diagram, and the Puzzle Art. I'm also planning to read First Day Jitters, followed by a worksheet. This is for 2 days, possibly 3 if we run out of time.

13. njteach41

njteach41 Companion

Jul 14, 2010

I'm doing some of the same things with my 4th graders. The main thing though is setting rules and boundaries. Especially the first day I set the tone, my expectations, and start to show them the environment I expect to have. We do a lot of rules and procedures, but we also do lots of the fun stuff. I like to do a fun activity... rules and procedures... fun activity... rules and procedures.... so they're not bored.

Some of the activities I do are... Class Puzzle, First Day Acrostics, All About Me, goal setting, I conduct Read Alouds, I also tie in math and do a class survey and we graph the results.

14. mrsburf

mrsburf Rookie

Jul 14, 2010

Exactly...do procedures, then activity, procedures, activity. This way, they don't get overloaded and we all get to know eachother.

15. BES2010

BES2010 Rookie

Jul 14, 2010

First Day Plans of a First Day Teacher

Hi everybody, this will be my first year teaching and clearly with 4th grade. Myself and the other 4th grade teacher are both new, however she did her student teaching at our school and with 4th grade at that. I was at a different school and in a first grade classroom.

Anyways I love this thread great ideas, some of the things I was already thinking about. My plan is to do fun activities and the necessary stuff also; find a nice balance.

-Go over school/classroom rules and procedures.
    -Discuss where stuff is in the room and keeping it neat and organized.
    -Morning/daily/weekly routine/schedule.
    -Teacher expectations of the students and their expectations of me.
    -etc.

Some fun things
    -getting to know you handout on desk when they come in.
    - play getting to know you games, like who/signature bingo. they get a bingo chart with info in the squares like has a pet, has an older sister, lives in a house, wears glasses, etc. and they find classmates who fit the details to write their names in the box.
    -the circle name game where person a says only their name then person b says person a and themself and so on. they last person (who will be me, the teacher) has to say everyones name).
    -time capsule
    - love the letter to self idea and the first day jitters read aloud idea. i was trying to figure out a book to read.

That's just some stuff. I've been typing up my plans for day one and the first week. Now i have to start getting stuff to decorate and organize the classroom...any ideas (if not please point in the right direction to the correct forum, thanks:))?

16. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2010

What do you mean by first day acrostics? And class puzzle? And what do you read for the read aloud? If you don't mind. I like the class survey idea. Do you survey things like favorite colors and food? Or is it more academic? Thanks. :D

17. njteach41

njteach41 Companion

Jul 16, 2010

Acrostic poems... I model one I made with the word "Welcome" then I let my students pick any word school related to write an Acrostic to.

Class puzzle... I make large puzzle pieces out of poster board. All students decorate their invidual piece and then as a team they have to assemble the puzzle. (got this idea off of AtoZ, will do it for the first time this school year)

Read Aloud... can be anything.. I like "Miss Nelson is Missing", "First Day Jitters" and then I usually start "Tales of the 4th Grade Nothing" as a novel read aloud.

18. Alegre

Alegre Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

Time Capsules-Use paper towel tubes

When I've done these I'd have my students bring in the tubes from the paper towels. We'd fill them up and seal them with aluminum foil. I'd have my students use permanent markers to write on them: "This TIME CAPSULE belongs to_______ . Today's date is _________. Do not open until __________." Afterward, they could decorate the tube and we'd store them until the given date (which they'd note in their planners.)

(Thinking about it a bit more, I guess you could also roll up a sheet of construction paper into a tube and tape it together. Then you could fill it with the contents and cover with aluminum foil.)

19. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 23, 2010

I do the exact same thing. I even hide the box somewhere else in the school so they completely forget about it. They definitely love opening them up on the last day of school!

20. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 23, 2010

My students always fill out a survey during morning work, and then they are encouraged to look at a variety of materials I set up at a table. Now with my students knowing one another quite well (because at least or more than 75% of them, I am certain, shared advanced 3rd together last year), I still incorporate Getting to Know You activities, but different. I have students create a Character Traits poster where on one side they draw their face quite large and then write words around it describing themselves. They are given a list of traits to glance at... some words are more advanced, but they see synonyms and get it quickly enough. For a math activity, I incorporate math magic. Students try to find out my mystery number or a classmate's mystery number using a formula. I also read from a chapter book, which of course is an exciting time for the entire class to relax. Of course, I do a getting to know the teacher activity- it is a true/false "quiz", and I may incorporate technology this year. Besides that, I review a lot of procedures. I also show my students my Me Bag. They of course share their own the following day.

Oh- and I do not go to recess until the first Friday of school, which is going to be the fourth day for us this year.

21. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jul 24, 2010

What is the reason for this?