4th Grade Long Term Sub

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by mrs.h, Feb 8, 2011.

1. mrs.h

mrs.h New Member

Feb 8, 2011

Hi everyone!

I will be starting my LTS position next week and it will continue through the end of the year. Do you have any suggestions about transitioning into the classroom? I have never taught 4th grade, so I'm a bit anxious! Any advice will be much appreciated! Thanks :)

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2011

Observe in the classroom if possible. Watch the routines and procedures as well as student expectations.

4. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Feb 8, 2011

I'm jealous!! I love 4th grade!!
    Are you going to be finishing the year?
    I would take a look (ask the teacher) how routines and procedures go. You will eventually be able to put your own little spin on those, but don't "change" them bc you will have a heck of a time getting them back to "normal"
    Don't go in too leanient; they'll take full advantage of that. Be fair and consistant.
    Make sure you know the school/classroom behavior expectations, emergency procedures, etc.

5. mrs.h

mrs.h New Member

Feb 10, 2011

Observing

I'll be observing next week, then teaching the next day. I do want to implement some of my own ideas without changing things too much... how much change can 4th graders handle?

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 10, 2011

As long as you are consistent and fair with your changes, 4th graders tend to do well with them. I'm a bit partial - I've taught 4th for 11 years. I sort of think it's the most awesome grade out there. :D I don't know what state you are in, but in Louisiana 4th is one of our high stakes testing grades. If that's the case, you will want to find out as much as possible about the test and the content you will need to cover. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy 4th as much as me!