4 Pocket Writing Folder

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Miss Kirby, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 4, 2008

You know, I am really bummed because I bought folders at Staples for one cent each, and they are the kind with the prongs in them, a class set of orange and green. I really didn't know what I was going to be going with them before I bought them. So I can't put one inside of hte other. I'm thinking maybe I'll tape the back to the other front. Or could I staple?

2. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I am wondering if you could use FIRSTGRADETEACH's idea for using the binder, Miss Kirby.

3. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I did the same thing last year. I bought the prong kind before I decided to make these folders. I just pulled the folder apart around the prongs then cut off the middle completely.

4. krwaggieteach

krwaggieteach Companion

Aug 4, 2008

gab - I make these folders every year and use with my students. They work great! I staple and then laminate.

5. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

krwaggieteach-thanks for the tip...I wondered about their durability.

6. mojo

mojo Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

To those of you that bought the prong style folders, you can still use them! I buy the 10 cent folders and the prong style folders and use them to make the four pocket folders you all are looking for. I take the plain folder and flip it inside out. Then I use my 3hole puncher and punch the plain folder. I then stick it inside the prong folder and put the prongs through the holes. Tada - you now have a four pocket folder! I label the pockets of each folder: Rough draft, revise, edit and ready to publish. As the students finish each, they move their writing piece right in their folders.

I number the folders so I can use these folders over again the next year. My kids have an assigned number so they just go to the crate that contains the writing folders and get their number.

This is the fourth year that I have used these and I love them. Everything is where I need it for conferencing and I even have the editor's checklist in their edit pocket as well as a thesaurus in their revising pocket.

I hope this helps!

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008

You have each child keep a thesaurus in their folders?

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 6, 2008

Wow.... you are a genius! I am going to try that. I would need to buy a set of folders without prong though. Unless I have a teacher friend who would trade with me.

9. mojo

mojo Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

To youngteacher226:
    The thesaurus is a small soft cover that I was able to get through Scholastic one year with my bonus points. It is geared for the primary grade level so it is easy to navigate and yeah it fits right in revise pocket of the folder!