3rd Grade Reading Comprehension Strategies

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by texasteacher201, Jun 15, 2011.

1. texasteacher201

texasteacher201 Rookie

Jun 15, 2011

I am going into my 2nd year as a Bilingual Teacher (Spanish). I taught second grade last year, and my students' scores on the reading final were HORRIBLE! I am going to be teaching 3rd grade next year, and, with the STAAR tests starting next year in Texas, I was wondering if anybody had any teaching tips or resources that could help me help my students to be more successful in reading next year (all reading is taught in Spanish). Thank you!

3. TXteacher51

TXteacher51 Rookie

Jun 16, 2011

Check out this website for some really good mini-lessons. I LOVE them and will be using them this year in my class.

http://tcherheart.tripod.com/readers_mini_lessons.html

As far as test taking strategies, we use an acronym. SCORE
    Study the title, charts, pictures
    Circle the bold or underlined words in the passage
    Ok, read the questions
    Read the story
    Evidence (Underline where you found the answer)

I hope this helps... We will all be new to the STAAR test this year, so that's the good news! lol

4. neska2

neska2 New Member

Aug 14, 2011

I'm in the same boat with the 'little' thing that I was a Spanish High School teacher for the past 3 years. Finding resources in Spanish when I was a 4th bilingual teacher was not easy at all. Any help would be really appreciated.

5. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 16, 2011

Try reading "Igniting a Passion for Reading" by Steven Layne. It completely changed the way I taught reading, and my kids have never done as well as they have when I've used his techniques. Bottom line is that if you teach the kids to LOVE to read, they'll do lots of it. And lots of reading will lead to good scores on any reading test. Try it out!