3 days of New Teacher Orientation.. what to expect?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Cicero, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 13, 2012

So I am going to be attending a mandatory three day orientation for new teachers. I spoke with my mentor teacher at my school about it, but she was not able to shed much light on it considering she went through hers about 11 years ago. From those who maybe have had a little more recent experience, what did your orientation consist of? Of course, I expect that this looks very different throughout school districts, but maybe I will see some similar activities.

I am also wondering about what would be appropriate dress. I think I am going to just dress professionally for the first day, and move down to more casual if it turns out to be more appropriate.

Any thoughts would be entirely welcomed and appreciated :)

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Aug 13, 2012

Professional dress for sure.

They will probably go over things like sub plans and other common sense stuff.

I will be starting my twentieth year and I have to attend one day of new teacher inservice.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 14, 2012

1/2 day technology with setting up passwords and using attendance and grading software and a 1/2 day with insurance/benefits dept. The other 2 days were with different curriculum department heads discussing state standards, curriculum framework, and instruction models the district uses.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

We normally do 2 days. This year, though, we only have one new teacher, so it's been cut down to 1.

My school does a great job with new teachers, both at the beginning and with weekly new teacher meetings with the AP.

Our typical August program includes
    - school philosophy
    - discipline-- how to handle small problems and prevent them from getting bigger
    - the religious aspects of our school
    - building layout
    - homeroom-- what's expected, how to run it
    - taking attendance on the computer
    - testing, how to use the scantron,
    - technology-- how to use the classroom computers, document cameras, and so on.
    - where to find materials
    - passes: guidance, dean's, nurses-

and pretty much anything else you would want to know.There are also a lot of coffee breaks, and lunch is provided both days.

Professional dress is expected of everyone, both the new teachers and those of us doing a presentation.

6. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 14, 2012

Thanks for the input guys! I just got back from day one. Professional dress was definitely the way to go. The few people dressed casually stuck out quite a bit. I never expected so many teachers though! There are over 200 new teachers in our district this year.