2nd grade writing?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by HelloLove, Sep 19, 2012.

1. HelloLove

HelloLove Rookie

Sep 19, 2012

Okay, I've been searching online, but to no avail. I need all you experts to help out this newbie. :help:

I've been subbing in a 2nd grade classroom - doing a lot of writing - and I have NO clue what's expected of second grade writers in regards to how much they should be writing, if they should be using invented spelling or looking up words (dictionaries or do I spell everything for them?), is grammar, punctuation, indentation impt. at this point or should they just be getting their ideas out? Do they know how to use a graphic organizer? So confused. Anything you can tell me would be great. I'm so used to working with 3rd, 4th, 5th grade. I realize these kids are still pretty much firsties since it's only the start of the year. :thanks:

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2012

I can tell you where my 3rd graders are at the beginning of the year:
    --I teach them about indentation.
    --I teach them a variety of graphic organizers. I would imagine second graders can be taught how to use some simple ones.
    --I teach my kids how to look up words in the dictionary. They do a little in 2nd grade, but not much. We do this more for finding meanings than correct spellings, though. For spelling, we only worry about this when we get to the editing stage. When they are drafting, they spell it as best as they can. For grammar and punctuation, I hold them accountable for what we've covered. At the beginning of the year, that's pretty much capital letters, end punctuation, commas in lists, and basic subject/verb agreement.

4. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Sep 19, 2012

My 2nd graders complete several writing projects during the year, but need lots of guidance through each one. When we are doing an actual writing assignment, I am much pickier about spelling than when it's just a random assignment. I will usually help them spell words. They are learning how to find words in a dictionary in my room, but it takes them so long, and is so difficult still, that to try to do it while writing something would totally get in the way. I am picky about capital letters and periods on everything, although most of them need LOTS of reminders. When we are doing a writing project, I teach them to indent paragraphs, but even more reminders are needed about this.

In general, I hate doing writing projects with my 2nd graders, because they are such a challenge, but, I recognize it as an important part of them becoming better writers, so we tackle writing projects a few times a year.

5. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Sep 19, 2012

:yeahthat: We always work on capitals and periods. As we progress through the year, we work on expanding sentences by doing "7-up" sentences where they have to have at least seven words. I am more concerned that they spell phonetically then totally correct. But, writing is one of my least favorite parts of 2nd grade...

6. HelloLove

HelloLove Rookie

Sep 26, 2012

Thanks all. What a great help! I was officially hired today as the permanent second grade teacher. Writing is the only content area I'm really nervous about!