2nd Grade Maternity Leave Position

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by New2Teach11, Nov 19, 2012.

1. New2Teach11

New2Teach11 New Member

Nov 19, 2012

Hello all,

I was very abruptly thrown into taking a 2nd grade 12 week maternity leave position. (I will be starting in one week). The teacher had her baby sooner than expected, so I did not have the opportunity to speak with her about how she runs her classroom on a day to day basis or even stepped foot into her classroom.

I do intend on speaking with the other 2nd grade teachers, but this will be my first time planning and running a classroom on my own, aside from my student teaching experience which was in a 6th grade classroom (very different from primary)

If anyone has any tips for teaching 2nd grade that you can give me that would be wonderful, even if they are very general. :help:

Thank You!

3. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Nov 19, 2012

Congrats on your new job!

I interviewed for an LTS position in middle school and started the very next day, so I know how you feel! Two suggestions for you.

1. Don't be afraid to do some bare-bones work until you get into the swing of things. For me, I hate worksheets. To me, if it would bore me, it needs to have more pizzazz! However, until I was able to get some planning done and the curriculum organized, worksheets worked very well. Second is obviously different, but a day or two of low demands in work will probably help you get on your feet.

2. If there is a procedure for something (in my case, paperwork, since I'm in special ed), write it down, immediately. Make a nice checklist if you have the time. These can become your cheat sheets for the first few weeks of running the classroom, because believe me, you'll need to take in so much information you'll have lots of trouble remembering it all!

Good luck!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2012

Congrats! I would try to get into the classroom to look around. Just seeing the room might give you an idea on some of the procedures that go on.