2nd grade literacy centers

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Miss Kirby, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 21, 2008

Miss W, then what do you do?

I don't think I've never had a class that could control themselves during literacy centers.

I have countless books with center ideas, most of them that I haven't used because there is no time to put the things together. Gr.

2. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 21, 2008

My class this year has lost their station privilages several times this year. We've moved on to P.A.T. (Preferred Activity Time). Most of the time they do well with that. While I'm meeting with Guided Reading groups the students are at their desks reading and responding in their Reader's Notebooks. That's all they're allowed to do because they've shown me that they can't handle anything else.

3. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Apr 23, 2008

My students rotate between....

Partner Reading
    Independent Reading
    Computers (literacy activities)
    Listening Center
    & Literature Circles

They do one center per-day (plus Guided Reading)

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 23, 2008

I'm thinking about doing that too, Miss W. How long can your second graders sit and read and write in response journals? Right now my first graders do it for about 15 min depending on the day.

I also wanted to be able to do reading conferences with them next year. I totally wasn't consistent this year. So that's why I guess I need centers, so I can do GR and conferring.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 23, 2008

My 2nd graders can do it for about 35-45 minutes. It's funny that they can sit for so long and be on task, but get them to moving around and interacting with each other and they loose. it.