2nd Grade Lesson

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Kat03785, May 2, 2012.

1. Kat03785

Kat03785 Rookie

May 2, 2012

So, I've been teaching Kindergarten for the last 4 years and I'm looking to move schools. I've been asked to teach a model 2nd grade lesson in a couple weeks. I haven't been given any specifics other than the school really likes small groups & hands on learning. I thought I'd put some feelers out there to see if anybody had any really cool ideas or links to blogs etc. Thanks!

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 4, 2012

Do you have any topics or at least a subject you'd like to do the lesson on?

4. Lysander

Lysander Companion

May 13, 2012

If you're doing math, using pattern blocks to model fractions is good. The yellow hexagon is a whole, the green triangles are sixths, the blue parallelograms are thirds, and the red trapezoids are halves. If you give students a few minutes to "play" with the blocks before teaching, many will discover this on their own. They may also notice that 3 triangles make a red trapezoid. I use this noticing later on in the unit to teach basic equivalent fractions.

Hope this helps.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 13, 2012

I'm currently teaching a non-fiction unit and my students are having a blast.