2nd grade Guided Reading levels?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 6, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 6, 2011

I received my class list today, and my students' guided reading levels were on there. I was VERY surprised at what I saw...At my last school my kindergarten students that I just left in the spring ranged from levels D-P. My new second graders range from levels E-O. :eek: It's like picking up academically where I left off.

Is this typical? I'm moving from a school that had 3% free/reduced lunch to a Title 1 school, so I understand there may be a difference in academic achievement, but I was very surprised!

3. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Jul 6, 2011

I'd say that's low to above my school.

Here are our expectations for the end of the year:

Kinder - C
    1st - H
    2nd - L

I also work in a Title 1 school; many of our struggling students have little to no parent involvement.

I teach K/1 learning support and my promoted first graders' reading levels were independent E (6)-H. I know in terms of regular ed that there were students who were certainly well beyond O, but the majority were in the J-L range.

4. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 6, 2011

We are required to stop assessing at H for kindergarten- we can not go beyond that even if H is their independent level. Otherwise, everyone should be at a C by the end of kindergarten be it independent or instructional C.
    What system are you using for these scores? We use the Benchmark- Fountas and Pinnell.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 6, 2011

We use Fountas and Pinnell as well.

Our kinders are supposed to be at a C at the end of the year (I'm not sure about other grades), but most of them are well beyond a C.

6. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 7, 2011

It is typical at a Title 1 school. Last year my students entered 2nd grade at levels ranging from B to M.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2011

I know I have several coming in on an E myself this year if it makes you feel any better. O seems pretty high to be entering 2nd grade, so that kid must be a great reader! :)

8. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 12, 2011

We have started using the Continuum of Literacy Learning (Fountas & Pinnell) at our school to really see where kids truly are. We were finding that kids were coming up from 1st grade on levels N or P but were no where near that with the strategies outlined from the continuum book. Many could decode well and give the basic retell but had difficulty with many other reading strategies such as inferring, questioning, analyzing, etc.