2nd grade demo lesson

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by luv2teach415, Apr 21, 2013.

1. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Apr 21, 2013

Hi everyone. I have a 30 minute demo lesson this week with a second grade ELA class of 18 students. I was told they have done a bit of poetry (color and acrostic poems). They are also starting nonfiction where they have to make their own nonfiction books. They have a basic understanding of nonfiction features.

I have an idea to read a short nonfiction book on some type of an animal (I was thinking a butterfly for spring). Then I was going to group them up in maybe groups of 3 and have them fill in a blank butterfly picture with words that describe a butterfly and possibly color it. Each group would then have their own butterfly shape/theme poem. Is this too much to get done in 30 minutes? Anyone else have any other ideas?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2013

Labeling and coloring is not something I would include in a demo lesson :2cents:
    If they are focusing on nonfiction, I'd probably come up with a lesson on text features.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Apr 21, 2013

I second what giraffe said -- I would avoid coloring. Why not teach about photographs and captions -- which are an important part of nonfiction?