2nd Grade Classroom Pics

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by StickyNotes, Jul 26, 2007.

1. StickyNotes

StickyNotes Companion

Jul 26, 2007

I see some of the other grades have threads with their classroom pics. Does anyone else have pictures if even from last year? I get to go into my classroom next week (just moved into it at the end of last year so everything is EVERYWHERE). Will post when I get it set up! Can't wait!

3. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Jul 30, 2007

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/kcontreras19/

This is the link to my class pictures last year. I am not planning on changing it much. I just want to put my teacher desk in front of the window and move the library to where my desk was. I probably wont go in until next week to fix up my room. I'll take some new pictures then.

4. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Thank you so much for sharing! I love looking at classrooms for ideas. I have yet to set up my classroom (I am a new teacher). How long did it take you to set everything up? I really like your classroom library!

5. Miss_K

Miss_K Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Here's my classroom from the beginning of last year. I'm keeping most of it the same, as long as I don't have to switch rooms - which is still up in the air! :eek:

6. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Last year, I went in on the first day to just set up the furniture the way I wanted it; the next day, I set up the bulletin boards and unboxed some items. It took me about 3 days. I'd say I stayed there about 3-4 hours a day.

7. divey

divey Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I noticed that you have cubbies in your classroom. We moved into a new building last year and cubbies were added, and I wondered what do you have students put in there? Last year I had them put coats and backpacks and things that wouldn't fit in their desks, but that didn't seem too efficient.....

8. divey

divey Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I LOVE your birthday display!!!!! Great idea!

9. Miss_K

Miss_K Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

Thanks! It works out well since we do graphing in the beginning of the year. It is also helpful if I need a student to get something from a cabinet for me. Instead of rifling through all of them I can just say that it is in the "November-December" cabinet! :)

10. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Aug 1, 2007

The kids would put their backpack or coats in them; each student was assigned a cubby; however, through out the day backpacks and coats would be falling out of them. In the small cubby students would put some of their materials from their desk since the desk were getting very messy. I use some cubbies to store my own things.

11. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

12. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 7, 2007

You guys have done a great job on your rooms. I won't be able to set-up my classroom until the very last week of summer due to construction. My classroom is always the last classroom to be waxed and clean because it is next to the office.

I went in today and boy what a disaster and a mess. I could not even get to my closet. I told the custodians I won't be back until the last week because I do not see my room getting done. Oh boy... What until I tell my co-teacher! Yikes!!!

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 7, 2007

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 7, 2007

Oh, that's this year.

15. curious

curious Companion

Aug 7, 2007

This thread is wonderful! As a COE student who's been bogged down with one theory class after another (and is wondering why her college doesn't offer more hands-on training), I really appreciate seeing how actual classrooms are set-up. Thank you!

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 7, 2007

Your room is wonderful. How many students will you have? It looks like about a million chairs.

17. curious

curious Companion

Aug 7, 2007

Mrs100, your classroom set-up looks so inviting!

18. curious

curious Companion

Aug 7, 2007

Miss_W, your classroom looks so huge! You have it nicely decorated. I noticed that your students' desks are mostly in rows. Sorry if this is a silly question (I'm a COE student), but can you still get your students into groups easily? My professors keep stressing to put the desks into clusters, but I'm leery of doing that because of visual reasons (e.g. students not easily seeing the chalkboard, etc.).

19. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 8, 2007

Wow, Valindy your room is very cute and so neat and tidy! What is that colorful bulletin board over by the door with the frog on it? Is that Mountain Math?

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 8, 2007

I will have around 24 students (no more than 25). I usually start the first 2 weeks in rows so I can learn the students names, and it gives them a transition from 1st grade into 2nd. I like to have their undivided attention while I'm teaching procedures. After 2 weeks we move into groups. I change my desk arrangement every 3 weeks (for my sanity mostly). It helps the kids work in different groups, and keeps the noise level down.
    Cooperative groups are great as long as you teach the kids how to work in those groups. I don't really worry about my kids being able to see the board, since I teach all around the classroom. I train my kids to turn their chairs to face me when I am teaching to the whole class. So if their backs are to the board and I go to teach on the board, then they know to turn their chairs around.
    My principal came in for my formal evaluation last year and saw the kids doing this. Later in our post interview, she stated that she knew I did cooperative groups a lot because the student knew what to do without me prompting them. As long as you teach and reinforce your procedures, it really doesn't matter what direction the students are facing.

21. beanie

beanie Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I have to laugh - all your rooms are so uncluttered and big!!! I will take some pics of my aussie classroom today (halfway through our school year) - I have so much stuff in it! hahahaaha:)