2018-2019 Classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ima Teacher, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 7, 2018

My classroom is ready for the new year!

It really didn't take me all that long to get it finished because I just tweaked a few things from last year. (I added some new furniture and rearranged a few things that didn't flow correctly last year.) I spend one long day and a couple of hours on two other days, and it was finished. Now all that is left to do is label desks, make lunch choice magnets, and a few other things that I can't do until I get rosters. I'm also waiting for the tech guys to remove my two old, unused computers. Oh, and I also have some things to put up in the hallway outside my door, but I'm waiting until they finish the hallways to do that.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/aEJl6lkyfJNW6860Ur9e8WMoh2trUtauS30dytuyKi9

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 7, 2018

Nice!
    I wish we could get in the building this early.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 7, 2018

They start clearing out rooms the day after teachers leave, and the custodians know which of us will be in early. Our rooms are typically finished pretty fast. One year I made the mistake of making the two male custodians mad (for expecting them to do their job, no less) and my room wasn't going to be ready in time for open house! That was just spiteful on their part. Neither of them work there anymore, so things are good.

DH's school sends out OneCall notifications on when their building is open or closed for teachers to work.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 7, 2018

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 7, 2018

Normally I don't have kids for more than one class period. However, I do sometimes have repeat kids for more than one class period if they rotate through my reading RtI group. I teach four language arts classes and one reading class.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2018

What a wonderful room! I love your "Don't Bug Me" spot; I want to incorporate something like that this coming year; I have tables that seat 3 or 4, but sometimes, someone just wants to be alone.

8. Aces

Aces Comrade

Jul 7, 2018

Very nice Ima. Is the agenda board goals oriented I'm guessing? I have a similar thing in my classroom in the white board, I sectioned off some. It has lab goals for this week, reference sections, needed material (pencils paper etc), and any extra information that might be useful (such as how to figure out how far the pumpkin will fly when you fire it). Our whiteboards have four stacked on top of each other in the tracks so I can slide them back and forth for the appropriate class.

9. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Jul 7, 2018

I'm dying to get into my classroom! Officially we can't get in until August 1 (school starts the 10th, teachers start back the 6th) but I'm hoping I can get a few things done while I'm there in a few weeks for Kinder Jumpstart. Since that's in the morning, I'm reeeeeaaaallly hoping I can do some sneaky work in my classroom in the afternoon. It's not a big deal if I can't, but it would be nice.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 7, 2018

I actually changed out the word agenda with the word target. We changed the way we write daily learning targets (again), so I changed the board. I'm using my old agenda board, but hadn't changed the word yet. The whiteboard with M-F on it used to be my target board. Now it's going to be my weekly overview board.

11. Aces

Aces Comrade

Jul 7, 2018

Aha ok but still goals oriented, correct? Targets, whatever.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2018

My room is being remodeled this summer and won't be ready until after teachers come back. Another excuse to relax and skip school work this summer!;)

13. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2018

Is that a storage closet? It’s bigger than my friend’s high school SPED classroom!

This is the first year I’m not thinking about my classroom. It feels weird. (Don’t tell my husband, but I’ve been scanning the net for interesting jobs...)

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 7, 2018

Yes, goals for the day. We call them different things different years.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 7, 2018

I love my closet!

When I was told I’d be moving grade levels and classrooms (after 17 years in the same room), I asked for one of the rooms with the big closet. Some rooms have big closets, some have small closets, and some have no closet. Mine has a big closet because it is next to the stairwell. Four rooms have these closets. All of the science rooms have big closets, too,

bella84 likes this.
  16. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Jul 7, 2018

Aw, idk what's wrong but I can't see it! Sounds nice from the replies, and I'm also looking to have a spot where kids can just be by themselves for some time!

17. Aces

Aces Comrade

Jul 7, 2018

Yeah but the concept works. I like having that app that we know what the end result is going to be and students can see how the book work relates to the lab. Also with your storage closet we have something similar in-between our science classrooms (every two classrooms share a prep room). It's meant to prep labs like dissecting the frogs and stuff.

18. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jul 9, 2018

What a great closet!! The storage is just breathless!

19. flairpen

flairpen Rookie

Jul 9, 2018

I like how you stacked the crates on top of each other. I am looking at a new way to organize my math workbooks (they're huge) this year according to table groups and I think this might work out well for me. Thanks for the idea!

20. Mrs. Mac13

Mrs. Mac13 Rookie

Jul 10, 2018

Wow, you are so lucky! We just finished the last week of June and won’t be allowed in until the last week of August which for me is so stressful I’m a bit of a loon. I like to take my time and examine everything with time to change. I love everything about your room. What grade do you teach?

21. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jul 10, 2018

Your room looks great! So organized and welcoming!