2016’s Best & Worst States for Teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SageScience, Apr 11, 2017.

1. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Apr 11, 2017

3. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Apr 12, 2017

I'm from Texas - #8. I'm sure it depends on the school district, but in my current situation I can't complain. Great school, great community, comfortable living; I would rank it even higher!

SageScience likes this.
  4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2017

California, #39, seems about right - I mean someone has to be worse than us, right?.

51st in student/teacher ratio? I wouldn't have guessed that. I'd like to thank the union for negotiating me a nice living wage and terrible working conditions.

SageScience likes this.
  5. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Apr 12, 2017

Nice to see Virginia holding a solid spot. I guess I'll find out if this is accurate when I graduate and start a real teaching job (but by that time there will be a new list.)

SageScience likes this.
  6. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2017

Utah was #9, and I find that acceptable. It's a decent state to be a teacher in, provided you stay away from some certain school district (though one of "those" districts recently just gave huge raises to make them income comparable.)

I still think about slipping off to Wyoming, though.

We are rather infamous for having low money per student, as this mentioned, but at the same time, we tend to do very well with the money.

SageScience likes this.
  7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Apr 12, 2017

Arizona #49
    :rofl:

8. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2017

Why I don't dream of slipping off to Arizona.

9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Apr 12, 2017

I'm looking at going back. I'm a masochist apparently. But the district I'm interested in is ranked higher! The Chandler Unified School District. Anyone have any insider info?
    :D:thumbs:

SageScience likes this.
  10. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Apr 12, 2017

This places Indiana in the middle of the list. o_O

In all fairness, not every district in Indiana is hellish. Indiana enjoys economic segregation, which naturally leads to racial segregation. Affluent whites enjoy a surplus of school funding, while the poor and minorities are denied even basic services.

There are districts rolling in cash, where teachers get raises each year. And then there are districts like mine, were teachers lose money every year.

I guess Indiana is fine if you are lucky enough to teach wealthy white children. It is not so pleasant when called to serve anyone else. Indiana seems to have designed education funding that the poor stay poor and the rich feel great about themselves.

Given that Indiana has made it illegal for teachers to be paid based on education or seniority, I'd have to say this list fails to reflect a number of painful realities. It also appears too commercial to be credible.

I'd place Indiana near the bottom of this list. Kansas, too. I think Hawaii probably belongs where it appears.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 12, 2017

Oregon is #48. Sounds about right.

12. physteach

physteach Companion

Apr 12, 2017

Number 1! I do like working here :)

Backroads likes this.
  13. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Apr 12, 2017

Good old Chris Christie! Woo!

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Apr 12, 2017

I firmly believe that the factors listed (job pressures, low pay, and lack of mobility) vary greatly from district to district within each state. Personally, I feel that my particular district in CA is a great place to work (high pay and decent/good working conditions).

15. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Apr 12, 2017

Chandler has typically been one of the better paying school districts in AZ. I know people who have worked there. Most have liked it. I have never taught there myself. Get a salary schedule and get a closer look. It is worth considering IMO.

Leaborb192 and SageScience like this.
  16. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2017

I have to return and correct this. I actually wouldn't mind moving to Arizona (my husband would get a lot more in his field) and I think it's a beautiful state. I just don't think I would want to teach in it.

MetalTeacher and SageScience like this.
  17. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Apr 13, 2017

I agree with the above posters that Chandler is a good school district to work. Actually, most schools in the "East Valley" are pretty good. There are a few charter schools there that also have better working conditions than many of the other schools. However, the amount of work they pile on you is crazy.

18. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Apr 13, 2017

I would like to teach at Chandler Unified too. I'm making preparations to return to teaching and have my focus on that district.

I think you said you teach elementary, right? I'm not too familiar with the K-6 schools but I heard they are good. The good high schools would be Basha and Hamilton.
    Actually, Kyrene is a top K-8 district in the Phoenix Area. You could try getting in there. The conditions are better than other places for sure. I am not sure if Kyrene also feeds into certain Chandler schools.

19. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Apr 13, 2017

That's how I felt about Oregon, actually. I really like the vibe of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, so I thought about moving there at one point, but it's become increasingly obvious that teaching there wouldn't be a good move for me.

(It's probably for the best in my case; the colder weather would most likely drive me insane.)

20. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 13, 2017

I've only taught in one school, but my experience from that and hearing news across the state is that teachers really aren't well respected in this state. They're asked to teach under pretty poor conditions, and given very little support but then asked to do so much and are completely blamed for any problems the school is having. My superintendent when I first interviewed with her bragged about her high turnover and how she was "weeding out" the terrible teachers not realizing that maybe the problem is her and not all of the teachers leaving like rats in a sinking ship (in that metaphor, she is like the Captain who is purposefully remaining unaware that the ship is sinking because she keeps hitting icebergs).

The Portland Public schools also just cut a whole bunch of positions because of lack of funding.

21. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 13, 2017

I was actually more surprised about CA being 35th than about CA being 51st for student/teacher ratio. That one actually made me laugh, in a slightly bitter, "I love having 32 fifth graders" way. As did your union negotiations comment.