2 interviews from Wednesday....odd

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JMatch123, Jul 14, 2017.

1. JMatch123

JMatch123 Rookie

Jul 14, 2017

I had two interviews in two different districts for special education positions. Any advice or input for what I'm about to write would be appreciated.

My first interview in the morning was in the #1 school district in the area. I was super excited to go and was a little nervous. The two people that interviewed me were extremely nice but I thought the interview was odd. I'm currently in a district that is in a poor area and we are one of the worst districts in the area so I deal with a lot of behaviors and learning struggles. While I was answering the questions (from my experiences), the principal kept interrupting and saying "Well, we don't have the here...." "The students don't act like that..." "We don't have those problems here....". She wasn't mean about it and she talked a lot about the student population and area but I just thought it was weird because I was just trying to answer the questions and she kept interrupting. It made me lose my thought on some questions. A lot of the questions had like 3 parts to the question to it was hard to concentrate when she kept interrupting. Like I said before, they were very nice and they said that it will be a long process because a lot of people in the district were on vacation and no matter what I should hear from them in about 10 days whether it's a letter of rejection or being asked for a second round interview. When I left, instead of crying (like usual), I was laughing a little a bit about what happened. I always thought my experiences in tough areas would be a benefit but I highly doubt they'll ask me for another interview.

My second interview was also in a good district-it's much smaller then the first district but I think it went better then my 1st interview. I was there a little early so while I was sitting there I was able to hear the other person in the the room being interviewed. It was odd to be able to hear everything but the person being interviewed did really well in my opinion. The people that interviewed me were very nice and they seemed to smile a lot and agree with what I had to say. Some people on the panel also had experience in rough areas so I think they were able to understand where I was coming from. My view was also similar to what the principal's view was for the upcoming school year. She mentioned that she wanted to hire someone with experience so I'm hoping I get bonus points for my experiences. They never mentioned what the next steps were (i.e. a second round interview, etc...to prospective employees) they just thanked me for coming in. I was so nervous that I never asked myself but I just asked general questions about the position and different programs in the district. It's Friday so as much as I have hope, I'm starting to think that maybe I don't have a chance.

What are your thoughts and opinions about how my Wednesday went? lol. I see a lot of posts on here that many people got offered jobs this week. I'm hoping I can be one of them as well. Ugh....this process is so nerve-wrecking.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 14, 2017

They both sound promising. That first interview sounds a little odd. Either that interviewer was trying to reassure you, or she was trying to reassure herself. Either way, you DEFINITELY will have NO ISSUES at that school. :whistle:

CherryOak likes this.
  4. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 14, 2017

I had an experience similar to the first interview you had this year with one school. The only difference being I could tell from their tone that they didn't understand that I was coming from a tough school. They were more concerned about issues in their school which was basically keeping parents happy. Needless to say I didn't get that job. I had the opposite experience of lots of behaviors and absent parents.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2017

I didn't get such good vibes from school #1. it sounds like the P was more interested in hearing themselves speak.
    School #2 seemed more interested in you.

alp123 and bella84 like this.
  6. JMatch123

JMatch123 Rookie

Jul 14, 2017

I am praying school #2 is interested in me!

7. agdamity

agdamity Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2017

I've made the switch from a major behavior, high poverty school, to a very middle class, low behavior, high parental involvement school. While I don't deal with near the amount of discipline, I have to do a lot more parent hand holding and appeasement at times. School #1 may want someone who is skilled in keeping people happy, and may not have seen how you would handle situations in their school. I know I spent a good deal of my first year running situations by coworkers before handling them because the population was so different.

alp123 likes this.
  8. alp123

alp123 Rookie

Jul 14, 2017

High maintenance parents can just as frustrating as poorly behaved students!! I've worked in both situations. My last job was at an upper middle class private prep school. We had a lot of helicopter parents. It was tough. Now I will be at a Title 1 charter school run by a district. I'm hoping that this school will be in the middle with parent involvement and behavior issues. I've heard that they don't tolerate poor behavior.

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 14, 2017

The first interviewer may have just been trying to reassure you that you wouldn't experience those problems at their school. I had an interview like that once. The school I was coming from was an absolutely awful experience, but it was because of really crappy admin (both at my specific school and at the district level), not because of the student population. IMO the interviewer assumed the student population had made the job "too rough" and that's why I was seeking employment elsewhere, so he was trying to assure me that his school was "better." I actually did end up getting offered the job, but chose my current position instead based on location.

10. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 15, 2017

Yes.... I worked at the same type of school. The parents ran the school; especially the parents that donated the most money to the school.

11. JMatch123

JMatch123 Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

I hope so with school #2