18-year-old substitutes?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacherella, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

I'm relocating to another state and I was surprised to find out that you only need a high school diploma and to be 18 yrs. old to substitute teach (besides getting the substitute certification). This is definitely not the case in my current state - you need 60 credits here. I really don't like the idea of a fresh out of high school student teaching my class while I'm absent,but I'll have to get over that. Hopefully, I can find a good sub and request him/her when I'm out. The only pro is that I will have three assistants (self-contained room) so I'm sure they would help her/him anyway.

What are the requirements to be a substitute in your state?

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 10, 2009

At least 90 college credits here in Michigan.

4. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

High school diploma, 18 years old and finger printed is the requirement set by the state. However, they still go through sub interviews before they are hired to sub in my district.

5. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Aug 10, 2009

It's been years ago, but when I subbed in OK (after subbing in KS and having to do the fingerprinting, college hours, certification, etc.) I was told that the only qualification was "a warm body" because I wouldn't be doing much anyway. Maybe it was just the district I subbed in was pretty relaxed, but it was in a fairly large city and I would have thought the qualifications would be more.

6. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

You have to have a BS/BA and fully certified in PA to substitute. We don't get subs where I teach. The specialty teachers have to cover. :(

7. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 10, 2009

here you need a 4 yr degree and a sub license.

8. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

I think in NJ you need 60 college credits to be a sub, but I could be wrong.

9. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

At least a high school degree, not sure if need some college hours ( i know you get more pay with a degree), at least 18, pass a background check, and pay $25 to go through a sub training.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2009

I think you have to be at least 18 in my area as well... I couldn't imagine if the 18-year old sub was watching a high school class. That's where I would be EXTREMELY concerned, though I'd want a reliable, seasoned substitute for my own room, too.

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

Here in Texas it just depends on the district. Some you just have to bea high school graduate so that would mean you could be an 18 year old substitute, while others you have to be a certified teacher to be a sub.

12. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 10, 2009

It depends on the district, but even in my district there are variations- some schools are more lax than others.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 10, 2009

Here you are required to have 60 college hours. Because I took some AP classes and went to summer school before actually starting college, I had 60 hours when I was 18. I could have subbed.

I was 21 when I was a certified teacher for 12th graders. Not a whole lot of difference.

14. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

For goodness sake!

(I'd spit... if I were a spitter.)

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2009

Here you need to be a certified teacher.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2009

Here, you need a Bachelors in any field & the passing of the CBEST. I don't question certain 18 year old's maturity level. I just think they should at least have a few yrs of college under their belt & earn a bachelors degree.

Just think, if these 18 year olds teach 12th grade, they could be the same age as the students. That would be strange! Will they really know enough to teach what they just left from a few weeks or so ago?

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 10, 2009

In Canada you have to have your Bachelors of Education.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2009

...which you get either after or concurrently with another Bachelor's degree.

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 10, 2009

I think here you have to have a high school diploma to sub in elementary and junior high, and a college degree to sub in high school. I can't find the requirements on our website though.

20. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

Where I subbed, there were some 19yr old subs. You needed I think 35 credits--easy enough to do with a year of cc, starting in the summer.

For some perspective here (I think some of you are overreacting a bit): when I saw the much younger subs, they usually seemed involved in what they were doing and mostly had plans to teach. Subbing was their first step towards this plan. But, I saw LOTS of older adults who came in with coffee and a newspaper. They just wanted the check.

21. SSA

SSA Companion

Aug 10, 2009

I don't think age is as much of a concern to me as skill set. There are people who graduate with undergrad degrees at 18 every year and there was one young woman recently, Alia Sabur, who managed to get far enough in her education to become a college professor at 18! Ideally you would like to have someone who had enough additional education that you were fairly confident that for most general coursework (math, science, history, and english) that the sub was reasonably competent to cover the material. With a HS grad depending upon their own knowledge it could be the blind leading the blind. Sure, there are some HS grads who I think could do a decent job teaching their peers, but a lot of students have minimal mastery of HS material. Obviously some specialized classes like some foreign languages you can't expect every possible sub to have mastery, but you obviously try to match qualified candidates to sub said courses when possible.

Having a student be the same age as the teacher isn't that awkward. In community colleges the you see that every day. Heck, the student is often older than the professor in some cases. Nobody considers that strange. Younger people may consider it odd, but as one grows up you discover that you don't always learn from those that are older than you.