14 more days... 14 more days...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by gr3teacher, Jul 14, 2017.

1. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 14, 2017

Sorry, I need to vent for a minute.

I'm teaching an ESY class, and was assigned to a low-functioning autism group. Through the first week, I've been bitten, kicked, punched, hit, slapped, spit on, had personal items destroyed, and had to wait an hour and a half after school for a parent to pick up a child who we were not physically able to get onto a bus. On top of all that, they come in today in the middle of my class, and take one of my IAs.

I've done it before, and I know I'll get through it. Gives me a new-found appreciation for those future saints who spend their careers working with this population. I love the kids, physicality aside, but I couldn't do this full time. Hats off to anybody out there who works with low-incidence kiddos.

3. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Jul 15, 2017

wow...that sounds really rough. You're a future saint for dealing with it just during summer!

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 15, 2017

I hope the rest of your time goes quickly! My district got rid of "regular" summer school several years ago. The money was very good and my budget definitely misses it...every year I think about doing ESY for the money and just can't bring myself to do it! My district is so tiny that it's just one ESY program, K-12 all together with one teacher and some paras. It's impossible for mild/moderate kids to qualify so it's only severe needs that go. It sounds like a nightmare!

I've always said they should pay teachers that work with this population more. I cannot believe what they put up with for the measly salary teachers get in my area!

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Jul 17, 2017

Sounds like my classroom. Year-round, mind you.
    Unfortunately, some parents see as just babysitters who have nothing else to do and refuse to pick up their kids until they want to. We had a very sick student and the parent said he was tired and couldn't pick him up. :dizzy: