viola_x_wittrockiana's Recent Activity

1. viola_x_wittrockiana replied to the thread Allowing students to grade work.

You're not going to get into legal trouble over it, but IMO it does go against the spirit of the law. The case seems to hinge on an...

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:57 PM
  2. viola_x_wittrockiana replied to the thread I don't feel like I know what I'm doing.

My area is music, and my state's standards are painfully vague and useless, so we all just kind of plan to the best interests of our...

Nov 22, 2017 at 12:13 AM
  3. viola_x_wittrockiana replied to the thread Allowing students to grade work.

I really don't like "trade n' grade" unless it's not for credit. Too many FERPA issues and too many ethics issues. If someone grades a...

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:57 PM
  4. viola_x_wittrockiana replied to the thread I don't feel like I know what I'm doing.

1. Try working backwards. Instead of looking at the standards and trying to build a lesson, come up with a good lesson first and then...

Nov 21, 2017 at 6:46 PM
  5. viola_x_wittrockiana replied to the thread Helped break up a school fight.

Check with your admins/district to define your legal responsibilities/liabilities. Unfortunately, we live in a world where liability...

Nov 21, 2017 at 6:08 PM
  6. viola_x_wittrockiana replied to the thread Thoughts on Fred Jones's PAT?.

For the most part, they bought in, but you have to have an activity they want. For us, using things like bonus listening time worked...

Nov 19, 2017 at 7:45 PM
  7. viola_x_wittrockiana replied to the thread Classroom defense and emergency management skills?.

No lockdowns/violent intruders as a teacher, but several as a student including a mentally unstable man with a knife at a school play....

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:41 PM
  8. viola_x_wittrockiana replied to the thread Need help with tutoring a first grader with little English.

Yup, but also simple syntax. The old-school repetitive readers are best. Foreign language phonetic substitution and syntax errors were...

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:28 PM
  9. viola_x_wittrockiana replied to the thread Classroom defense and emergency management skills?.

Natural disasters and medical emergencies I feel pretty confident about. The kids know the drill and I've been trained in emergency...

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:21 PM
  10. viola_x_wittrockiana replied to the thread Thoughts on Fred Jones's PAT?.

I think it works better in a contained setting than in situations where you see the kids for one period per day. The flexibility with...

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:47 PM
  11. viola_x_wittrockiana replied to the thread What do you use to label your graphing calculators?.

The best way to do it would to etch the school name and a number on the back in the name space (assuming you're using TI83 or 84s which...

Nov 17, 2017 at 6:03 PM

Members Online Now

Total: 397 (members: 0, guests: 266, robots: 131)
test