Peregrin5's Recent Activity

1. Peregrin5 replied to the thread Advice for starting midyear.

First off, it's going to be very tough. Kids aren't going to expect you to stay and will treat you like a sub for a while. Be prepared...

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:54 PM
  2. Peregrin5 replied to the thread PTC- is it appropriate...?.

If you were unhappy about the way she dealt with it, you should let her know in a way that doesn't attack her professionalism. You can...

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:38 PM
  3. Peregrin5 replied to the thread Student thinks I cursed and worse.

It sounds like they were intentionally mishearing because it was funny. In the future if you ever worry about something like that, just...

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:39 PM
  4. Peregrin5 replied to the thread PTC- is it appropriate...?.

If she put off telling you about it for months, it could simply be that the teacher didn't see it as a huge issue that needed a phone...

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:35 PM
  5. Peregrin5 liked Geologygirl's post in the thread I Think I Should Just Leave California.

I would say finish the credential then transfer it. Many states will take ca creds.....or move to a less expensive part of the state. I...

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:26 PM
  6. Peregrin5 liked Caesar753's post in the thread Should I say something?.

If it's true that he said that, those comments are disgusting and despicable. If you don't stand up for this student, who will? If it...

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:33 PM
  7. Peregrin5 replied to the thread Getting really angry at students.

I try to remember that I can't control what a student does. If a student is really set on doing poorly in the class and never doing...

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:23 PM
  8. Peregrin5 replied to the thread No late homework..

I tried doing the reduction of the grade thing, but with 200 students, I can't keep track of who turned in what, at what time, and who...

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:18 PM
  9. Peregrin5 liked kaitydid's post in the thread No late homework..

I teach both middle and high school (small school setting), and I don't accept late work from any of those grades. I used to last year...

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:13 PM
  10. Peregrin5 posted a new thread.

No late homework.

I used to be a proponent of allowing students to turn in late work, because I would rather that students learn the material than not....

Forum: General Education

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:21 PM
  11. Peregrin5 replied to the thread No essay -> no passing my class.

:clapping: I think kids are getting away with a lot and passing classes by doing far too little lately. I think it's time that we...

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:16 PM
  12. Peregrin5 liked Linguist92021's post in the thread No essay -> no passing my class.

Has anyone done this? My students were writing a compare / contrast essay (2 civil rights activists). I have spent the time teaching...

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:14 PM
  13. Peregrin5 replied to the thread More engaging ways to go over a worksheet with students?.

I've struggled with this this year since I've been teaching new subjects and I have limited time to plan and do a lot of other kinds of...

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:11 PM
  14. Peregrin5 liked Linguist92021's post in the thread Help: Junior Class with no sense of Responsibility.

You're welcome. Another pushback you might see is some students telling you that they don't need to have a high school diploma. - Be...

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:00 PM
  15. Peregrin5 liked ms.irene's post in the thread Places without unions?.

I feel like part of the problem is that the unions need to do better public relations work, to help get out the message about the...

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:47 PM

Members Online Now

1. Backroads,
  2. YoungTeacherGuy
Total: 558 (members: 3, guests: 458, robots: 97)
test