Obadiah's Recent Activity

1. Obadiah replied to the thread Classroom Management SOS!! Please!?.

First of all, it's not you, it's them. The students are the ones misbehaving, not you. I'm seeing a difference in kids today from when I...

Nov 17, 2017 at 7:08 AM
  2. Obadiah liked Been There's post in the thread Classroom Management SOS!! Please!?.

As a first-year elementary school teacher, you should have received the active support of an administrator or guidance from a...

Nov 17, 2017 at 6:13 AM
  3. Obadiah replied to the thread out of control students= end of career?.

I just now read your post that must've come in while I was typing mine. The 3 strikes your out can work, but I wouldn't wait too long to...

Nov 16, 2017 at 7:08 AM
  4. Obadiah replied to the thread out of control students= end of career?.

(Note: My expertise is elementary, so I'm a bit out of my field, but I wanted to share some advice that might be helpful). Another...

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:55 AM
  5. Obadiah posted a new thread.

Fun Arithmetricks for Lower Elementary

I couldn't remember a clock trick that I've used in third grade, in a fun situation, that helps review spelling of the numbers. I found...

Forum: Elementary Education

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:40 PM
  6. Obadiah liked readingrules12's post in the thread Do teachers bring bad behavior on themselves?.

A good teacher can set up a classroom environment that can reduce behavior problems, but of course not eliminate them. Just like you...

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:21 PM
  7. Obadiah liked nstructor's post in the thread Do teachers bring bad behavior on themselves?.

Great response. It's impossible to say that being respectful to students and keeping them busy will cause no discipline problems. That...

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:20 PM
  8. Obadiah liked Leaborb192's post in the thread Do teachers bring bad behavior on themselves?.

We can't really control ANYTHING outside of the classroom walls, but we can control how we are as teachers. I think that's kind of the...

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:20 PM
  9. Obadiah liked AmyMyNamey's post in the thread Do teachers bring bad behavior on themselves?.

It's popular to blame teachers for all of society's ills. Lot of money to be made by doing so. My experience has been that poor...

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:19 PM
  10. Obadiah liked Bioguru's post in the thread Do teachers bring bad behavior on themselves?.

I haven't been teaching near as long as others (this is only my 8th year), but I would say in my limited experience - yes. I haven't had...

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:16 PM
  11. Obadiah liked Leaborb192's post in the thread Do teachers bring bad behavior on themselves?.

:heart: And it's exhausting... to deal with their needs all day, but that's the work of teaching and it's why teachers burn out FAST! I...

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:15 PM
  12. Obadiah liked TrademarkTer's post in the thread Missing my PE class is continually used as punishment..

If it got me out of PE, that might have encouraged me to act up as a student ;)

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:08 PM
  13. Obadiah replied to the thread Missing my PE class is continually used as punishment..

I agree with penalties for infractions; this is a normal part of society. I don't agree with missing a class as a penalty. The idea...

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:43 AM
  14. Obadiah replied to the thread Do teachers bring bad behavior on themselves?.

I wonder if a lot of what we're seeing today is due to a cultural shift. I began with a detailed listing of differences between the 60's...

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:15 AM
  15. Obadiah liked CherryOak's post in the thread Do teachers bring bad behavior on themselves?.

With the window left open for exceptions, I agree. Even as a sub, I've found respect and deescalation go a long way and are likely to be...

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:25 AM
test