mathmagic's Recent Activity

1. mathmagic liked YoungTeacherGuy's post in the thread Best helping students with limited English.

I hate to admit this, but I did not know this until about a year ago. Up until that point, I had always told parents to immerse their...

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:45 PM
  2. mathmagic replied to the thread Struggling kiddo...How can I help?.

What information do you have from them? Have you considered observing (whether known to him or not) one of the times to better...

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:07 PM
  3. mathmagic liked Backroads's post in the thread Best helping students with limited English.

If their primary language is still being studied, encourage it. Studies show that if they continue to practice their home language,...

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:01 PM
  4. mathmagic replied to the thread Best helping students with limited English.

I had to remind myself this today. My kids are almost fighting (not fully literally :)) to be able to share new things with her all the...

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:01 PM
  5. mathmagic replied to the thread Results of Global Study on School Choice.

Perhaps it's more that you can teach them either way, but that more progress (and thus greater success) will be made with additional...

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:58 PM
  6. mathmagic replied to the thread Two interesting sub days..

Take the initiative, then, and seek out additional work! Whether it means you're more carefully planning...

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:53 PM
  7. mathmagic replied to the thread Fun Arithmetricks for Lower Elementary.

Yes - I agree! The key being the giving them time to and expecting them to work towards trying to figure out these patterns that they...

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:12 AM
  8. mathmagic liked TeacherGroupie's post in the thread Best helping students with limited English.

What's the student's home language/first language? Is the student literate in it? If so, a bilingual picture dictionary, English and the...

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:09 AM
  9. mathmagic replied to the thread Best helping students with limited English.

Spanish. I'm working to determine the literacy with the home language and will probably know by the end of the day. Our ELL teacher...

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:09 AM
  10. mathmagic liked Bioguru's post in the thread Do teachers bring bad behavior on themselves?.

I haven't been teaching near as long as others (this is only my 8th year), but I would say in my limited experience - yes. I haven't had...

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:52 PM
  11. mathmagic liked viola_x_wittrockiana's post in the thread Best helping students with limited English.

Know five different ways to say the same thing because the kid might know one but not another. Be concise and consistent with your...

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:53 AM
  12. mathmagic replied to the thread Best helping students with limited English.

Unfortunately, this is deeply ingrained in me (more often puns, but still). Thanks for the reminder: I'll make sure when I do notice...

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:53 AM
  13. mathmagic replied to the thread Changing shoes at the school?.

Not a problem at all. I regularly bring tennis (well, REI) shoes for when I go out to the field to facilitate a game each week. I've...

Nov 14, 2017 at 9:10 PM
  14. mathmagic replied to the thread Names Names Names.

When I'm learning the kids' names (in my much, much smaller class that I have all the time), I do my best to learn the ones I think I'll...

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:32 PM
  15. mathmagic replied to the thread Too high for reading groups?.

If you're working on comprehension skills, those students could still use many of the skills you're working on, but just challenged to a...

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:28 PM
test