Backroads's Recent Activity

1. Backroads liked TrademarkTer's post in the thread So apparently I will be teaching the superintendent's grandkid....

I've never had an administrator's kid before (mostly because none of them have high school aged kids :)), but I've had many board...

Aug 13, 2018 at 7:08 PM
  2. Backroads liked mathmagic's post in the thread So apparently I will be teaching the superintendent's grandkid....

You know, while I'd probably be a bit (ok, a lot :)) nervous, I'd be excited for the opportunity to showcase my skills on such a high...

Aug 13, 2018 at 7:07 PM
  3. Backroads liked YoungTeacherGuy's post in the thread School uniform question.

My partner teases me about my "uniform": shirt, tie, & slacks.

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:55 AM
  4. Backroads liked Caesar753's post in the thread School uniform question.

My school has standard student attire. Students must wear certain types of clothing items (e.g. a polo shirt) in certain colors. I...

5. Backroads liked ssgirl11's post in the thread School uniform question.

Agreed! This is kind of cheesy, but it reminds me of the movie The Princess Diaries, where the protagonist, Mia (a self-proclaimed "ugly...

6. Backroads liked otterpop's post in the thread Non readers and very low readers (grade 6).

I use teacher read aloud a lot. They follow along. Sometimes I follow up with having them read the same thing with a partner. Or, I'll...

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:12 AM
  7. Backroads liked MrsC's post in the thread Non readers and very low readers (grade 6).

I use several strategies: - have students read with a partner - have audio versions of the text available - teacher reads and discusses...

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:12 AM
  8. Backroads replied to the thread School uniform question.

So we had a similar discussion a couple of weeks ago in one of my mom groups--what were moms' thoughts on kids wearing uniforms? It was...

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:11 AM
  9. Backroads liked ssgirl11's post in the thread School uniform question.

Ugh, I love clothes waaaay too much to wear a uniform. I understand the "leveling the playing field" as far as uniforms with students...

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:08 AM
  10. Backroads replied to the thread School uniform question.

I suppose an argument could be made that there is a stronger history and culture for students wearing uniforms, but all I can recall for...

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:08 AM
  11. Backroads replied to the thread School uniform question.

Well-stated. I suppose I can name a few professional, educated fields here and there where a uniform isn't out of the question and...

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:49 PM
  12. Backroads liked waterfall's post in the thread School uniform question.

I previously worked at an inner city public school that had uniforms. The idea was that it was supposedly actually cheaper for parents...

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:47 PM
  13. Backroads replied to the thread School uniform question.

I'm totally against teachers wearing uniforms. Give me a dress code, even a conservative one, and I'm good--just don't make me wear a...

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:45 PM
  14. Backroads liked readingrules12's post in the thread School uniform question.

Totally opposed to staff wearing uniforms...I think many would consider switching schools. Some love to dress up, some have less money...

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:40 PM
  15. Backroads liked BioAngel's post in the thread So apparently I will be teaching the superintendent's grandkid....

I've taught principal's kids and headmaster's kids before... no big deal. They tend to be the most understanding. What I'm more worried...

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:24 AM

Members Online Now

1. Ms.Holyoke,
  2. ssgirl11,
  3. Kelster95,
  4. TrademarkTer,
  5. Caesar753,
  6. dr.gator,
  7. shoreline02,
  8. jadorelafrance,
  9. blazer
Total: 584 (members: 11, guests: 466, robots: 107)
test