Backroads's Recent Activity

1. Backroads replied to the thread Teaching students with special needs.

This is me just wondering but... Token economies. I see these recommended a lot for SPED students, but they have fallen out of favor...

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:48 PM
  2. Backroads liked Alexandra Belden's post in the thread Teaching students with special needs.

first part of the paper example I will keep the classroom environment organized and structured in a way that all students are...

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:46 PM
  3. Backroads liked vickilyn's post in the thread Teaching students with special needs.

Start with reading the IEP, going to the modifications and accommodations page, and implementing what your find there. Each IEP is...

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:46 PM
  4. Backroads liked mathematicalanomaly's post in the thread Newbie with one of those classroom management posts.

I don't have any advice, but I empathize. I have the same class this year. All of the EC students and below grade level AND behavioral...

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:26 PM
  5. Backroads liked mathematicalanomaly's post in the thread ADVICE !!!.

A phrase I like to use when a student is in trouble is this: (after I've pulled them to the side/hallway/away from embarrassment)...

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:24 PM
  6. Backroads liked Linguist92021's post in the thread What do you do when the apple doesn't fall far from the tree?.

It feels like you have to treat the parents the same as the kid meaning educate them on how to have a polite conversation, how to make...

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:22 PM
  7. Backroads liked czacza's post in the thread What do you do when the apple doesn't fall far from the tree?.

If parents won’t take charge at home, theres little you can do. Reflect the students’ work and behavior issues on report cards.

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:09 PM
  8. Backroads liked 2ndTimeAround's post in the thread What do you do when the apple doesn't fall far from the tree?.

A lot of the time the apple doesn't fall far. Eventually the parents get a reputation and admin doesn't pay much attention to them. You...

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:09 PM
  9. Backroads liked Alexandra Belden's post in the thread What do you do when the apple doesn't fall far from the tree?.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have kids who are so difficult to work with regarding behavior and when you mention it to...

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:08 PM
  10. Backroads liked AlwaysAttend's post in the thread Teaching in a Low-Income School.

I agree with Ms.Holyoke that certain systemic issues are certainly at play in schools we need to do more to address. With opportunity,...

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:27 PM
  11. Backroads liked Caesar753's post in the thread Grading Students Differently.

I don't feel that a completion grade should be in the gradebook, at least not worth any substantial amount of points. I could support...

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:29 AM
  12. Backroads replied to the thread Grading Students Differently.

This is a thing of frustration for me. Probably because I have so many kids that ought to be on IEPs but for whatever reason aren't on...

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:28 AM
  13. Backroads liked 2ndTimeAround's post in the thread Grading Students Differently.

Please do not grade students differently unless you are required to do so by law. What happens is these kids breeze through because they...

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:26 AM
  14. Backroads liked Caesar753's post in the thread Grading Students Differently.

I feel that grades should reflect mastery of content, not effort.

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:25 AM
  15. Backroads liked a2z's post in the thread Grading Students Differently.

It sounds like yours is a modified curriculum for the students. So, if there is a B on the report card, then what does that B really...

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:25 AM
test