2ndTimeAround's Recent Activity

1. 2ndTimeAround replied to the thread Passing students to the next grade up.

I don't understand the reasoning "if they didn't get it the first time, they won't get it the second." That runs counter to everything...

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:04 PM
  2. 2ndTimeAround replied to the thread Passing students to the next grade up.

I agree that they should have pull out classes (and many high schools do have resource classes for identified sped students). But why...

Apr 22, 2018 at 9:22 PM
  3. 2ndTimeAround liked TrademarkTer's post in the thread Grading on the Curve.

I also don't like curves.....it seems especially odd to curve for grades 2-4. That material seems particularly fundamental for them to...

Apr 22, 2018 at 9:16 PM
  4. 2ndTimeAround replied to the thread Grading on the Curve.

I despise curves. They only serve to inflate grades. If I were in your shoes I would have thrown out the bad questions or the entire...

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:34 PM
  5. 2ndTimeAround replied to the thread Passing students to the next grade up.

So are you suggesting that high schools employ middle school teachers? That the students move up to high school but repeat the...

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:31 PM
  6. 2ndTimeAround replied to the thread Passing students to the next grade up.

What would those interventions look like? How is placing a student that has not mastered material in a higher level class helping him?

Apr 22, 2018 at 5:42 PM
  7. 2ndTimeAround liked rpan's post in the thread Passing students to the next grade up.

I think retention can be a powerful tool if used judiciously. It can help students develop work habits of working hard towards a goal,...

Apr 22, 2018 at 5:40 PM
  8. 2ndTimeAround replied to the thread Passing students to the next grade up.

Absolutely, it affects students. Kids aren't dumb. I get 9th graders all the time that did absolutely nothing in middle school because...

Apr 22, 2018 at 5:39 PM
  9. 2ndTimeAround replied to the thread A few special needs kids vs a majority in the general education classroom.

piggy-backing on been there's post... I have had some success, not much, with reducing the flexibility in my classroom. Sometimes it...

Apr 19, 2018
  10. 2ndTimeAround liked Guitart's post in the thread Getting students to respect my things.

I worked with a middle school teacher who had major items numbered (scissors, rulers, watercolors). The students were assigned a number...

Apr 19, 2018
  11. 2ndTimeAround replied to the thread Testing Snafu.

And I don't like how it doesn't (usually) account for lucky guessing. If they developed a way for free response questioning instead of...

Apr 19, 2018
  12. 2ndTimeAround liked TeacherGroupie's post in the thread Testing Snafu.

What I really don't like about computer-adaptive testing, at least as I understand it, is that it doesn't allow for going back and...

Apr 19, 2018
  13. 2ndTimeAround liked TrademarkTer's post in the thread Testing Snafu.

That's horrible. We had this trouble with the PARCC last year. It onlty lasted about an hour for us, but it was a real nusiance...

Apr 19, 2018
  14. 2ndTimeAround liked Missy's post in the thread Testing Snafu.

So, the standardized testing site was down for the ENTIRE state of Ohio today. Would like to be able to hold them accountable, as they...

Apr 19, 2018
  15. 2ndTimeAround replied to the thread A few special needs kids vs a majority in the general education classroom.

Yes, I do. Honestly, it comes down to survival in many of those cases. The administration/district/state just doesn't care about meeting...

Apr 19, 2018

Members Online Now

1. TrademarkTer,
  2. Caesar753,
  3. miss-m,
  4. Pi-R-Squared
Total: 575 (members: 5, guests: 529, robots: 41)
test